Non stick pans

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi chaps,

Bit of advice of you may.

I'm looking to get a new light weight billy set.

The one I like the look if is the primus trek kettle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000KBH2CS

It's made from anodised aluminium and has a titanium non stick coating.

What my question is about is has anyone got any experience of using anodised aluminium over a camp fire?

And will it have a negative effect on the non stick coating?

I'm planning on taking this or something similar to Estonia next year along with a lightweight non stick fry pan which I will get from aldi or ikea.

I no another option is a titanium set but tbh I'm not a fan, and weight wise I don't think there will be a lot in it.

I have a decent stainless billy but I get fed up with food sticking to it lol!!

If anyone has something similar they use I'm always open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

All the best
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
What my question is about is has anyone got any experience of using anodised aluminium over a camp fire?

Yep, loads ...

And will it have a negative effect on the non stick coating?

As far as I'm aware my pots don't have a non stick coating ~ but the anodised finish on mine seems almost non stick anyway. I've used non stick on fires in the past without an issue though.
My anodised gelert set has served me well for a fair few years and the only alterations I'd make are slightly squarer base to the lids and a bail arm to make for easier use over wood fires.

BTW ... I know what you mean about stainless but if you're burning food you're applying too much heat and not paying enough attention to the cooking process ;) , learning how and when to apply heat is a big part of cooking (easily said, harder to do when there are chores to be done).

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... BTW ... I know what you mean about stainless but if you're burning food you're applying too much heat and not paying enough attention to the cooking process ;) , learning how and when to apply heat is a big part of cooking (easily said, harder to do when there are chores to be done).

Agreed, I think it's he cooking I'd look at first, then the cook-pots :D. I find it helps to do all the other things so I can be sure to be able to concentrate on the cooking - did accidentally have sausage flambe over in Wales this autumn :yikes:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for the advice!!

My cooking skills are not too bad tbh, I'm just not too experienced cooking on an open fire as its a lot more difficult to regulate.

But you are both spot on in the fact I put food on and go off to do summit else while its cooking lol!!
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try cooking overs the embers Steve, having two parts to the fire is handy so you can drag over new coles as you go

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm just not too experienced cooking on an open fire as its a lot more difficult to regulate.

Boil over flame, cook over ember*. When cooking on an open fire two things tend to catch people. Firstly, the length of time it takes to effect a change in the fire ~ getting the contents of your pan up to temperature and then varying it as and when needed. And, secondly, falling for 'The watch Pot Effect' ~ the watch pot never boils ~ your food isn't cooking so you turn your back and do a small chore, you turn back and your food has burned :eek: .

* Over simplified, but it gives the jist.

But you are both spot on in the fact I put food on and go off to do summit else while its cooking lol!!

I think most of us do to an extent ~ because we can get away with it at home and we carry it over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE