No Idea too extreme...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...Okay, so I try my best with my scout troop...and to be honest there is little they are not up for, and I throw a lot at them, but, I am desperate for something that will stretch not only them, but me...

I can rehash all I've done before (which is fine for the new members of the group coming up from cubs) but what I want is something vibrant (and different) to all I've done before for those that have been with me for some time...

So; take a look at my posts and see what I've done, and point out the glaring omissions that I can capitalise on...

And remember, we are talking bushcraft in all its guises...

PS. I am in the throes of organising a trip to Canada...Hudson bay paddle for 10 days...so looking for camp-based ideas at home...

Go on...let rip...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds prefect mate, in fact as I read your post I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe a tester up on the Scottish west coast might be a good intro, see how much you can sit back and let them look after you

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Something along the gun carriage races but over a longer distance... they have to dismantle some bulky item, work out how to carry it over various natural obstacles, rebuild it at the end?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
100 metres through the trees without setting hand or foot on the ground :)

Needs a lot of rope though and confidence in their knots :)

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Something along the gun carriage races but over a longer distance...

When I lived in Oxford over twenty years ago I had a friend called Chris who used to run marathons. He was pretty good, sub 3 hours. One year he did the London marathon. He describes turning a corner somewhere near the end of the race, a bit tired. After a few seconds a great cheer went up from the onlookers. Feeling good, and a bit flattered, without really thinking he grinned and waved. Then he wondered why he'd got the cheer. Then he heard something and looked behind him. Yep, four squaddies towing a field gun. What really annoyed Chris was the fact that they'd had to dismantle it twice on the way!

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
I think you will find that the true Field Gun event is in fact a Naval tradition. Dates back to the Boer war when some squaddies over estimated their abilities and had to be bailed out by matelots.

http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheets_gun_run.htm

Have a look at the 1999 race on YouTube. Many ex Field Gunners can be easily recognised by the fact that they don't have all their fingers. Race times used to be sent out by signal to the fleet worldwide on a daily basis. Don't hink it happens any more now defence capability has been reduced to providing fighter cover for Balmoral and keeping the cavalry in front of Buck house.

Hearts of Oak

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Have them make ghillie suits and play hide and seek - the one who remains undetected for the longest wins.

Andy

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
five items or less weekend with certain checkpoints (on a long tab) needing to be met through-out the day to earn food as points..;)

water, med kits, maps etc would be free items, build a shelter the first day then walk a set rought to collect the food at a set grid....easy..:):):):)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have them make ghillie suits and play hide and seek - the one who remains undetected for the longest wins.

Andy

We did this on a tracking course after learning the basics about movement/pattern disruption etc. The instructors went off and hid and then we had to get as close as possible to ID something hanging from their belt, after you'd managed to ID it you had to retreat to the RVP and wait until it's over. It was good fun

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
There's some great ideas there folks...you've really got me fired up...keep them coming...I can see the scouts really going for it...thanks

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
slightly off tack, maybe a little longer term, but go for a world record of something. If they enjoy it, look to beat it next year. How to get that back on a bushy footing, I'm not sure. Most scouts over night in a debris shelter? Maybe challenge another local scout troop.

sorry, not much help, never was a Brussel

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Please don't take this the wrong way but beware of doing an activity which stretches you as then how will you have the stamina, knolwedge etc etc to look after your Scouts.

Love the campsite picture by the way

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Please don't take this the wrong way but beware of doing an activity which stretches you as then how will you have the stamina, knolwedge etc etc to look after your Scouts.

Love the campsite picture by the way

Hey Roger
thanks for that...I'm fairly sensible, and when I said stretch, it was more on the intellectual level than physical...Getting too old to play at Bear Grylls ;) ...though it doesn't stop me trying...

My scouts always come first...

YIS

Stovie

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Build a boat from cardboard - distance before sinking wins...

...a crazy idea, but great fun...the scouts were amazed they actually floated, and for some considerable time...shame we're into the dark evenings already, made taking pics difficult...Here's a couple anyway

paperboat4.jpg

paperboat.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE