No heroes any more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
hobbitboy said:
Ok then, so here's the question, who are your heroes?

Ellen MacArthur, currently just a few days from breaking the round the world solo sailing record (Fingers crossed Ellen....) 27,000 miles in about 70 days. Never managing to sleep for more than an hour at a time. Climbing a 90' mast to repair sail damage in the dark, the rain, the wind and the 20' swells. I dont think I've ever seen determination like it.

simon

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Ranulph Fiennes has to be my number one hero. Firstly because he is such a nice guy and his wife is lovely as well. As kids we were snow holing on top of Exmoor and we were caught by this farmer but instead of getting shouted at or even worst shot at we were invited back to his house for a cup of coffee. When the lady of the house asked what we were doing out on the moor in the dreadful cold and snow we informed her we were doing “survival” and she smiled and offered us another piece of cake and the farmer said very good, its good to see you out and about in this weather practicing your skills. He never mentioned who he was or what he did although I had noticed some pictures dotted around that looked interesting but did not get a close enough look to see what they were. On leaving my mates and I thought it was really strange that the farm didn’t mind us being there, had invited us in and he and his wife both knew what doing Survival was. When I got home I asked my dad if he knew how lived at that farm and he told me it was Ranulph Fiennes the artic explorer, I was gob smacked and spent a lot of time on that part of the moor in hoping I could bump into him again and have a chat with him but I never did see him again.

Secondly for Bing kicked out of the SAS for what I heard was for stealing explosives to blow up a dam but I have also heard other reasons.

And thirdly for both him and Stroud wanting to blow each others brains out for most of there trip across Antarctica.

Shackleton and his team are real heroes for the ill fated trip across Antarctica in 1915 when they survived for 16 months and Shackleton, Tom Crean and Frank Worsley rowed to South Gorger and then crossed the island to get help to rescue there crew that they had to leave behind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE