no compass no problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
if you have no compass then look no further

here are some ways to make a compass that could save your life

Last edited:

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
If I had a watch: the sun is in the south at midday (13:00 GMT).
No sun: natural navigation techniques such as plant growth shape , tips of conifer’s pointing NE, tree shape and buttress roots etc to name a few.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
If I had a watch: the sun is in the south at midday (13:00 GMT).
No sun: natural navigation techniques such as plant growth shape , tips of conifer’s pointing NE, tree shape and buttress roots etc to name a few.
that is handy to know thank you
Just remember - the moss does not grow exclusively on the North side of tree trunks :)
that is very hand to know thank you

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
none as yet due for coming across and sharing at same time

So how do you know they can be trusted and are not giving out false, and potentially dangerous, information?

Beware Youtube and posting random links to Youtube videos unless you know them to have value and are giving correct information.
It's great to learn, but learn in a safe environment so if it all goes wrong you're not in trouble. Then, when you've learnt, feel free to post all these links with some commentary on how useful etc they were.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you know what?

I digg out the compass after sunset.
Otherwise it lives in my rucksack.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I'm a bit dubious of trying to learn a skill off Youtube,i'm no expert,but what i have learnt about maps and compasses was from a book called Land Navigation,by Wally Keay.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
When I started to collect for this Forum educational YouTube videos I picked approximately just 10% of the seen ones because all the others contained technical faults.

You really need a lot of time to do that and it's surely more sensible to make them simply yourself if you are able to make faultless educational films.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
no training time as i came across i shared thus not able tot try out as yet
It might be good to install a buffer and filter between watching and posting Youtube links. People do share videos that they see that they think are good, but it tends to be one or two every once in a while, not multiples every day or so.

There is a lot of good stuff on Youtube, as well as an awful lot of trash, and a fair bit that is hovering in the middle.

Filtering what gets linked to is a big help for other forum members. Someone asks about something you actually know about, maybe you can find a good video, give it your seal of approval (don't think its good, know its good). Maybe you have to watch a dozen that are of poor or poorer quality before you find one that shows the good technique you want to share, but that saves other people from having to do that, and maybe not recognising the poor technique.

For navigation, I like books. Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass by Harold Gatty is good. and available cheaply from Abe books. I have Tristan Gooley's two as well, but not such a fan.

ATB

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE