Nikon DSLRs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
Hi Rob,

I use the D300 which is the same except for the video capability of the D300S.

I've used the D700 as well so let me know your question and I'll try and help

Tim

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Cheers Guys

I have settled on the D700 as the camera. I keep thinking about leaving the purchase a bit longer incase they do bring out a new model - but considering the state of the workd at the moment, I dont think that they will.

As I am new to Nikon (all my travel cameras are either Fuji or bouncy Olympus) the sticking point at the moment is the choice of lens.

Tim - I am interested to know what lenses you bolted on the front when you tried it.

I am also trying to get some opinions on how well the D700 copes with DX format lenses. I know that there is a drop in pixels, although I know that some lenses will provide full coverage at some focal lengths.

Much appreciated :)

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have a D2x and the lens that almost lives on the front is a DX 18-70 vibration reduction lens. Not as good as some of my other lenses but covers for almost every situation.

Of course a lot of the time I end up using my Olympus point and shoot as with it being water and shock proof it is better for the rough and tumble of being outdoors.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Cheers Guys

I have settled on the D700 as the camera. I keep thinking about leaving the purchase a bit longer incase they do bring out a new model - but considering the state of the workd at the moment, I dont think that they will.

As I am new to Nikon (all my travel cameras are either Fuji or bouncy Olympus) the sticking point at the moment is the choice of lens.

Tim - I am interested to know what lenses you bolted on the front when you tried it.

I am also trying to get some opinions on how well the D700 copes with DX format lenses. I know that there is a drop in pixels, although I know that some lenses will provide full coverage at some focal lengths.

Much appreciated :)

To take full advantage of the D700's larger sensor size you need to buy an FX lens. The DX lens can also be used but they will crop the frame to the smaller DX size so you will lose the advantage of having a full frame camera.

If you were to use DX lens exclusively then you'd be better off buying the D300(s).

The 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR or 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S NIKKOR are a popular choice as an all round lens for the D700.

Nikon might update the D700 with a video clip feature as they did with the D3 and D300. Whatever you buy you can be sure it will be upgraded soon, but the D700 is such a good camera that with the technology available at the time I write this I reckon they can only bolt on a few extras.

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
Hi Rob,

The D700 I tried belongs to a pro photographer friend of mine so he had some pricy lenses on. I tried with the 70-200mm F2.8 and the excellent 24-70mm F2.8

Both gave great sharpness and colour clarity but they're hellish expensive. He's just added the 50mm F1.4 which is every bit as sharp but a fraction of the price.

The D700 is a great camera and if you get it you won't be disappointed. The only thing I would say is be clear what you want it for. The D700's strength is it's low light capability. It's as good as the D3 and that re-wrote the book on high ISO quality. Pictures from the D700 at ISO 6400 are as good as my D300 at ISO 1600.

I'd echo what Rebel said:

To take full advantage of the D700's larger sensor size you need to buy an FX lens. The DX lens can also be used but they will crop the frame to the smaller DX size so you will lose the advantage of having a full frame camera.

If you were to use DX lens exclusively then you'd be better off buying the D300(s).

Good luck and happy shooting!

Tim

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Thanks guys.

I had a feeling that avoidance of the DX format was the way forward. Different if you already have them - which I dont. Looking at the changes with 'x's and 's's the trend does not look like major changes will happen when they do upgrade the D700 (the week after I buy one). :rolleyes:

I have been looking at the 24-70 f2.8 and figure that buying at the same time as the body should at least give me some bargaining on a grip and some other goodies.

I must admit, I have drooled over the 70-200 f2.8 and some other pointless window shopping/dreaming of other things that either cost more than a new body (or a nearly new Defender) :lmao: I will need to get hold of something with more of a wildlife slant and longer reach, but it might be one of the slower cousins.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
From what I understant you want camera that would be good for wildlife photography.
Since you decided to go for Nikon I would advice you on D300.
Thanks to smaller sensor you get crop factor of 1.5.
Basicaly every FF lens you stick on, focal lenght would be multiplied by 1.5.
Also instead of buying 70-200f2.8 which will make huge hole in your pocket you can go for
80-200f2.8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE