Nikon binoculars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Can anyone recomend me a set of binoculars I was looking at a pair of Nikon action ex 8x40. Does anyone have any other recomends?

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I have a pair of Steiner wildlife pro's, 10x42 iirc.

I'm not a expert, but a great pair of bino's as far as I'm concerned. Really vivid colours and excellent definition.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
8x40 means 8 times magnification with a 40 millimeter diameter lens

for outdoors use in less good lighting conditions (dusk,foggy,overclouded or wooded area) i would get a lower magnification with a bigger frontlens.

i have a bresser 7x50 wich works out good for me. 7 times magnification is good enough for most things and the wide lens means even at evenings you can use them.

in the end it is what you use em for.
bright daylight to see small things that dont move a lot very far out? go for big first number,second number doesnt realy matter.

if things are moving a lot,are closer and lighting is more dodgy go for lower magnification and higher second number.

the bresser was (ten years back when i bought it) the best combination of price,quality and numbers for me.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Just been looking at the Steiner and Bresser binos they look nice.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Go to www.warehouseexpress.com (no connections etc..).
Nikon Sporter models now £89...rrp £199,
Nikon Action model now £49...rrp £119.
I'd go for the sporter binocular 8x36, i've tried these and they're well worth the money.
Tom.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Many many good bins out there today...Would recommend going into a shop to try them out first, some are heavy, some are light, different colour lenses, different types of adjustment, some work better in darker conditions. Some even have cameras built in.... Decide what you want em for and go find a local shop that sells them and hasnt got a disinterested youngster behind the counter..

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers for the link Barn owl. How nice do the swarovski ones look, now they are shinny.

Simon.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks Jon, Thats the thing with the Nikon ones they are pretty heavy, but, and I've thought about this I wont really be using them for really long periods of time, so I dont really mind. I have just been looking at the Bushnell ones, dont really know much about these though. A couple of essentials are multi coating and waterproof ones.

Simon.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks Jon, Thats the thing with the Nikon ones they are pretty heavy, but, and I've thought about this I wont really be using them for really long periods of time, so I dont really mind. I have just been looking at the Bushnell ones, dont really know much about these though. A couple of essentials are multi coating and waterproof ones.

Simon.

There is carrying them about as well as using them, some go in pockets, some are worn round the neck....Go get advice mate, you don't want to be getting another pair cos these ones don't meet your requirements and were an impulse buy...I see many types used at the reserve and many people have views on which is best....Personally I have some 10x25 tiny casio ones that cost me about £60 many years ago. They go in my pocket and are fine for me but many would not give them a second glance....If you have a RSPB place near you, they usually have shops and you can try out some decent brands there and get expert advice too....If you want some half decent cheapies, 7day shop do some for about a tenner and they are not too bad, but don't expect too much....

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Your right, I have a cheepy 8x25's and they are great but not very bright but very handy size, I like them but am now looking for a better bigger pair. I will seek out a shop and try some out.

Thanks.

Simon.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Simon ,
Have a look at www.birdforum.net, under the optics section you'll find tons of info on all makes. Tom.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use a pair of Opticron Countryman 10x42's and have found them to be really good.
I was able to try them alongside a pair of leica's and coudn't detect any real difference in the quality of the optics. They are also waterproof and pretty robust.
About £240 a pair, so not exactly cheap, but not expensive for quality optics either.

Your milage may of course vary!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE