Nifty Spice Container

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I thought these had gone out of favor for food because of the silver(nitrate?), that has bled into the plastic, or is there a way to clear them now?

I'd calculate the risk like this.

What weight of silver nitratre can get bled into the plastic.
Thought, the weight of the canister is only a few grams so the silver nitrate component would have to be measured in milli of micro grams.

How much can be bled out again.
Thought, a lot less than bled in, and given an initail couple of washes to get rid of that more easily bled out even less That'd leave the little that can be bled in minus what is left when no more can bleed out easily and also minus that which cannot be bled out ie the silver nitrate that's still in the plastic years down the line. I guess this " potentially available to potentially do you harm" amount is going to be measured in micro or nano grams.

Over what timescale?
Probably several years.

So now we get to ask the important questions like what quantity of silver nitrate would it take to do us harm?
As a gauge I'd look at photographers developing their own prints, who will be absorbing magnitutes more silver nitatrate that someone storing a few spices, if there's not a major problem for them the problem for the average bushcrafter would seem to be almost (if not completely ) nonexistant.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Well said Eric, its the same as the Aluminium mess tin argument, nonsense really unless you eat out of them for a couple of hundred years;)

Aluminium's suspected involvement in alzheimer's has been debunked I believe. They found there was no relationship.

Sep 22, 2005
London
They are quite cute aren't they. They were being sold locally in a shop called Butlers which sells lots of low-price euro-goods for the home - mainly kitchen. I have one (spice names are in German) and, in the interest of all here, tried to take the top off - not a chance of doing so by hand - I may have to try tools!

Gailainne

Life Member
Back on topic I see, if the top comes off and the can be recharged, I'm interested, if not i'm not. cant say fairer than that.

lets see silver nitrate , from film which is contained inside a plastic container, inside said plastic container !!!! where are you getting poisoned from again ? I believe the expression is "Get real"
Now in the old days they processed film (actually glass plates) with mercury, breathing in the fumes, as they worked, now that is poisoning.

Sep 22, 2005
London
Well I did try tools and the lid does come off - if you have at it with one of those grippy jar-opening jobbies and don't mind getting showered with curry powder. It's a friction fit and goes back on again - seems as secure/difficult to open as before.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
What about one of these? "A clear plastic box with 8 separate compartments, each with a snap shut lid. Ideal for storage of small screws, washers and any small item that can be easily lost.
Dimensions 87mm x 61mm x 21mm." code SF04E
sf04e.jpg
£1.29 + P&P,
SWMBO and I use them for keeping our various pills in at camp, one compartment per day :)

No not the little blue ones ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ok - an update!

I have contacted the origional company and (with Tony's blessing) am currently looking into getting them made with the bushcraftuk logo and a 'small' run of 'as stock' just as a group buy

Obviously this all hinges on the final price so we'll see.......

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use a bunch of medical sample containers (unused!) that I blagged... Got some really small ones for curry spices and the like, as I always end up taking way too much otherwise - I like to have a good variety, but I don't need a lot of each. Salt and pepper go in larger ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE