Nieto Patrol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Conor

Aug 11, 2021
Zurich
As luck would have it, my search for a new knife did not take too long. I was about to buy my son a Mora knife when I came across the quality knife display in the store (Transa Superstore, Zürich) There was half a dozen Fjallkniven and some high end Victorinox knifes, but nothing jumped out at me.
Then the Nieto caught my eye. It has got some heft and feels good in the hand. It made light work of splitting logs and other tasks. For those interested the steel is AN58. And at GBP 60 quid, I think it’s a steal. In fact I bought 2 of them, one each.
AFA73825-4B16-4A95-B0D9-0531A6AAAFA5 by Conor Lynn, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Looks similar in style to my Muela, I wonder if they are the same company. Good knives either way.

Reactions: Conor

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a locker from Nieto, hollow grind so not everybodies cup of tea, but it's not a bad knife at all.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looks good that one, I like the Navaja type blade designs. I hadn’t heard of the AN58 steel, but it’s admired by many, and it’s not like the Spanish don’t know what they’re doing with cutlery.

I was tempted by one of these a while ago, from the Italian cooperative LionSteel, the Gitano.

B5FCF3F0-1ADF-4D33-9225-90A084076798.jpeg

Reactions: Robbi and Conor

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
I got a nieto roadrunner off a gent of this here parish and must say it's impressed me - it fits my hand nicely, feels solid and has kept it's edge well despite being used for everything from bramble slashing to wood carving. The blade is a little thin for my preference but other than that I can't fault it really, and the others I've looked at seem pretty good value for money too

51386330042_437765de15_c.jpg

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a couple of small nieto knives and found them to be pretty reasonable. Both are hollow ground though, I mainly use it for small camp food prep
And what is wrong with that, it is what I have used mine for, hollow ground is not a sin damn it. It is not a knife for batoning your way through prehistoric forests as that is a job for the spyderco bug.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
And what is wrong with that, it is what I have used mine for, hollow ground is not a sin damn it. It is not a knife for batoning your way through prehistoric forests as that is a job for the spyderco bug.

no, I know, I was just pointing out that they are both hollow ground. I prefer a flat grind tbh.

I can’t recall what the steel is but they hold an edge really well and sharpen razor sharp. Good little knives imo.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I got a nieto roadrunner off a gent of this here parish and must say it's impressed me - it fits my hand nicely, feels solid and has kept it's edge well despite being used for everything from bramble slashing to wood carving. The blade is a little thin for my preference but other than that I can't fault it really, and the others I've looked at seem pretty good value for money too

51386330042_437765de15_c.jpg
Gotta say, I’d end up resenting that huge ricasso! Why on earth isn’t that either handle or edge?

Reactions: Erbswurst

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Gotta say, I’d end up resenting that huge ricasso! Why on earth isn’t that either handle or edge?

That ambiguity is half the reason I like it, you can choke up on the blade easily or bury it to the hilt battoning - their AN58 seems strong and holds a good edge but I'm not looking forward to having to sharpen it eventually..

Reactions: Nice65 and Conor

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hollow grind knives are horrible if you eat bread with butter or jam.
You can't clean them at the bread like flat or scandi grind.

Let's call them horror grind knives, to point that out!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE