Nic Le Becheur, from Southampton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hi all,

Just joined the group after lurking as a guest for a while, looking for useful information - and found a great deal more than I'd even hoped for. I'd first like to say a big Thank You for that. Let me explain why I'm here...

I got my first taste for real, old school camping years ago when I joined an historical re-enactment society and got in with what they call the 'Living History' crowd. I and the other half have the same old canvas tent we bought (second hand) over 30 years ago, a replica of one from the Hussite Wars of the 1420s, the original of which is in a museum in Gratz, Hungary.
Our tent (with a few repairs) is still going strong and we love it, but it has one design problem for the 20thC: a couple of 8-foot poles, which I can't be arsed to make sectional versions of. As a consequence, the nearest and dearest travels trapped in the front passenger seat of the car by the poles in transit - and not being allowed to smoke in the car, on long journeys this can be trying for us both.

So get a roof rack? I would, but she's a worryguts who frets about the rack coming unshipped en route and spilling our tentage all over the road or blinding the windscreen with canvas so that we career, blindly and out of control, to our untimely doom. We had a one-nighter event to go to recently so, after doing research here, I went and bought a Polish Army surplus 'peleryna namiot' (commonly called a Lavvu). Mightily impressed with it, and despite her forebodings and dire premonitions Madame Le Becheur and I passed a really comfortable night therein.

Now she complains about its small size for two people, and so, inspired by the 'Lavvu On Steroids' thread, I am planning using the Wilco clothes prop tripod method to raise the height to the maximum 280cm and add detachable skirts of c. 100cm to the lower edge. I'll let you know how it goes - undecided whether to try 4x ex Bundeswehr Zeltbahn/shelter halves or get a custom-made canvas tarp. Suggestions welcome.

Oh, and during my researches elsewhere I also got hooked on the idea of a Zeltbahn, so have just bought 4x Swedish Army triangles. Madame Le B. is presently unaware of this. I shall probably explain its future advantages as a 4-guyed sun shelter of distinctively cool character, on top of an extending canopy (or Wilko) pole :)

Reactions: Ezikkiel

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing your experiments - I find my lavvu fine for one person but a little tight for two so might have a go at modding mine too :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Nic and welcome to the forum.
Like Ogri said what a cracking introductory post, looking forward to more of the same.
Sounds like you have an interesting skill set and range of interests so you should feel at home with the crowd here.
On the pole front for the initial tent you mentioned have you thought of getting someone like Tent Repair Service in Mussleburgh to make you a sectional one? Would save the Eric Sykes "Plank" style goings on with the eight footer you have at the moment :D I used to make a lot of poles for people but for odd sized or difficult to obtain styles I used TRS and they were cracking folk.
Welcome again and looking forward to your posts.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Thanks, GB. Hadn't come across TRS - I'll look them up. What a sensible, knowledgeable, handy bunch you all are :)

Cheers,

N.

"But the place which you have selected for your camp, though never so rough and grim, begins at once to have its attractions, and becomes a very centre of civilization to you: "Home is home, be it never so homely." ~Henry David Thoreau

Feb 21, 2022
Southampton
Thanks, GB. Hadn't come across TRS - I'll look them up. What a sensible, knowledgeable, handy bunch you all are :)

Cheers,

N.

"But the place which you have selected for your camp, though never so rough and grim, begins at once to have its attractions, and becomes a very centre of civilization to you: "Home is home, be it never so homely." ~Henry David Thoreau

Hey Nic, on the off chance you get a notification for this. Let me know if you are still bushcrafting in the portswood area :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE