Next tinkering project.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've been looking at the small chimney kettles (back country boiler and mkettle) following several threads and group buys of them.
So I think I'm gonna make myself a super quick water boiling system using my non fan powered wood gas stove
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90404&page=2
I'll be using the same setup as before using a wine cooler, however this time I'll be adding copper tubing, several feet, coiled around the inside of the combustion chamber. Inlet through one of the air holes in the bottom, outlet at the top. Attached to the inlet will be a hydration bladder with valve removed, on a length of tubing elevated by tripod or some sort of stand. The outlet to a pan or water bottle, with some sort of tap.

The idea is to get the stove up to temp, then introduce the water, in the hope that the slow steady flow will be heated super fast in the heat exchanger, and come out boiling. Something like a tefal instant boil kettle. The danger is that it gets too hot and turns to steam too quickly, but with a little tinkering, I'm hopeful this might actually work.

I'll be getting some piping this week and hopefully can get cracking. Once again, I'll take pictures and update the progress.

Thanks
Stevr.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just make sure you don't seal both ends of that tube off.
Always have one end vented to atmosphere.

Many years ago I worked as a weld inspector in a place that built massive pressurised steam boilers and trust me on this one. You really don't want to be anywhere near one that goes pop.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Just make sure you don't seal both ends of that tube off.
Always have one end vented to atmosphere.

Many years ago I worked as a weld inspector in a place that built massive pressurised steam boilers and trust me on this one. You really don't want to be anywhere near one that goes pop.

Don't worry, the outlet will be open (hopefully) pouring a steady steam of (near) boiling water.

Thanks guys.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'd not seen your original "wine cooler" gas stove until now, it looks pretty good, clever use of materials, i like that kind of thing. i've made a few out of milk powder tins and they work fairly well but not great. i'll be really interested to see how the latest lot of tinkering turns out :)

cheers

stuart

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
i'd not seen your original "wine cooler" gas stove until now, it looks pretty good, clever use of materials, i like that kind of thing. i've made a few out of milk powder tins and they work fairly well but not great. i'll be really interested to see how the latest lot of tinkering turns out :)

cheers

stuart

With a fan hooked up, they are fantastic. Never managed to hook up a thermoelectric generator though. I'm hopeful this new mod might work.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
A quick update on this project. It ain't going as planned. I'm really struggling to get the tubing wound in a tight enough coil to fit inside the stove. I maybe using the wrong sand, but it just kinks. Its a very tight radius. Swmbo isn't happy with the amount of copper tubing coming and going. I might knock it on the head unless any of you have suggestions.
I've filled the tube with sand and wound it around a coke can, but it always kinks. :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
have you seen this? http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11554

There's a spring sort of thing over the pipe to stop it kinking, looks a bit those little drain rods for sinks.

lrgscale633481.jpg

If you could get one in the right diameter that might work.

Attachments

• lrgscale633481.jpg
    lrgscale633481.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 7

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE