Newts, newts and more newts

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've seen five in the big pond and two wandering around on the paths, I'm getting wary of moving plant pots again :rolleyes:
They seem to like dawn and dusk; I found the first one this morning about 5am and the second one ten minutes ago. No idea what colour these ones really, are but they look like black scaled down dinosaurs in the half light. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've seen five in the big pond and two wandering around on the paths, I'm getting wary of moving plant pots again :rolleyes:
They seem to like dawn and dusk; I found the first one this morning about 5am and the second one ten minutes ago. No idea what colour these ones really, are but they look like black scaled down dinosaurs in the half light. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

We have three WW2 bomb craters in Chopwell Wood and they're chocka block with them.
We had plans to do some pond maintenance last year but there was all sorts of red tape involved and we were advised we would probably need a "newt handler" ( you know the sort of thing?-teeny tiny chair, microscopic whip, tiddley little safari hat etc:D ) It's all been shelved for now, until we get a proper report done (apx. £500) I sat and watched them last year, they appeared to be fighting or at least knocking each other about. Couldn't agree more about them looking like dinosaurs!

Cheers
R.B.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ahhaa back back ye besties!
*removes small whip from teath*

As a newt handler i can tell you that if they look like small dinosaurs and are black/dary on the top, with a slightly granular appearance one the sides then they are indeed the great crested (or watry) newt. If you see another on land look underneath as they are very vibrant orange, having said that this probably comes under disturbing them and should be licenced. If you see one upsidown then...as above.
For info a newt handler (like the term) if an ecologst who hold a licence to disturb them for the purpose of surveys, since the surveys have to be done repetitively, im afraid it can be a bit expensive, in fact £500 would be cheap...sorry.
On the plus side, depending what you are planning on doing there may be practical ways around this.
If you wanted to pursue this rancid badger then please email me. im happy to give advice.
Might even be able to work on some sort of skills trade if it comes to that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE