Newby and some kit questions!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, am new to the forum and new to the wonderful world of bushcraft. I'm hoping to exlpore my local woodland and countryside in kent and learn some bushcrafting skills along the way such as foraging. I've spent quite a bit of time readng on this forum and thinking about what kit I'd need to get started. It's clear that the simple answer to that question is "not a lot"

My intention is to continue learning/reading and also getting out on day walks/hikes. I'm not looking at doing any overnighters in the immediate future but maybe next year...

So what kit have I got!

A swiss army knife - I think it's the camper version, have had it years and it's always come in handy regardless of when I'm out sea fishing or when I'm away with the missus on a camping holiday (enjoy camping but never done wild camping).

A hexi stove - cheap, cheerful I think I'd like to adapt it into a more suitable wood burner rather than hexi cubes.

A cheap sports rucksack - I'm looking to replace this with a highlander pro-force or air ject rucksack (25 litre) would appreciate your thoughts on which one is best.

I've also ordered a Swedish Army Trangia cookset - I know it's a bit heavy and I'm only going out on a day hikes but couldn't resist this wonderful bit of kit and thought it would be fun to stop at some point to make up a cuppa or some soup - have just ordered a brand new aluminium version from military mart.

To accompany this SAT I've also ordered a Swedish Army Water Bottle and a kuksa cup.

I'll make up a first aid kit from the myriad of plasters and bandages etc that I've already got at home.

I have a couple of small led torches which I got from mountain warehouse

Already have lots of reasonable quality outdoor clothing and walking boots - just need to get a decent quality waterproof/breathable jacket.

What else would I like:

Compass,
OS Map of my local area
folding saw

Next up is a firelighting kit I'm looking a getting this neat set on e-bay. It's a water tight container with the fire steel and striker + bic lighter, tea light, mini torch and lots of different bags of tinder. It's only a tenner so I thought it'd be good to have.

I'd like to get a better quality knife at some point, was looking at getting a good but relatively inexpensive folding knife with a locking blade - I see that a lot of you have fixed blade knifes but wasn't sure if this was for me as I don't envisage doing any serious knife work. The bear grylls knifes look good but am concious that you pay a lot for the name, is it worth it? would welcome your thoughts on this as well!

Of course not all of this is necessary and I don't need to get it all straight away (I have half an eye on doing the overnighters as well). There's also all sorts of other kit that I'm sure I've mised, but I expect I'll pick this up along the way. I like the idea of getting military surplus gear so I'd like to go down this route as and when I source or upgrade things

Sorry for the waffly intro, I'd welcome any advice that you'd offer.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
There are much better knives out there, for the dosh, than the BG :)
I am not a fan of locking folders but prefer a fixed blade. A folder such as the Svord Peasant does me for a tough folder :)

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
Hi Barney and welcome to the forum

As you will most likely be going on day hikes for the foreseeable future how about:

- A pair of binoculars
- Spoon knife for working on your kuksa while waiting for the water to boil.

It might go without saying but i will say it anyway. I always carry a notebook and pencil with me. You never know when inspiration will hit and there is nothing capable of clearing the head more than a peaceful walk in the woods, imho.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I am going to give you a bit of boring advice but this is the thing:
Obsessing over kit is what "bushcrafters" do when they are not able to be out doing stuff.
Using a lot of kit is camping. When we start to use what we can find in nature instead of kit - then we are "bushcrafting".
You already have everything you need to get out. Put on your clothes, go out for a walk and stop for a brew.
While having your tea, think about what you would like to do but can not right now because you lack some piece of kit?
Don't go and buy a saw until you find that, damn, today I could really have used a saw.
Don't get a better knife until you say, I could really use a better knife for this... and so on.
It may not feel much fun to start with but wait till you have a set of skills and still have all your money left, then you are laughing!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you're going to buy a rucksack like those you mention, you wont go far wrong with the pro force 33 or 44; they're excellent value for the money and durable.............but there are some very nice vintage military packs to be had for very little money, Swedish and other surplus; some of these are good enough to see you through many years of reeving about and are very well made and a pleasure to own and use...........

There is a great deal of truth in what Husky has posted above, but judging from your post yuo're aware of some of this anyway

Whatever you do, have fun doing it and you'll learn loads.......................Welcome aboard!.........................atb mac

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all for your comments and advice. I completely intend to go out for a walk with nothing more than my bottle of water and Swiss army knife! Something that I'm quite keen on doing is to combine this with my passion for mountain biking as its a great way of keeping fit while enjoying the countryside.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Barney Rubble said:
I'd like to get a better quality knife at some point, was looking at getting a good but relatively inexpensive folding knife with a locking blade

Just be aware that locking bladed knives are illegal to carry in the UK. A svord mini peasant or non locking opinel is a great legal to carry knife that won't break the bank.

rg598

Native
Don't rack your brain trying to make distinctions between bushcraft, camping, backpacking, mountaineering, etc. Just get gear that you find you need when you are in the woods. Here is an old post on cheap day kit: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/day-hike-gear-now-that-we-have-clothing.html Here is a post on cheap overnight gear: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/11/beginners-guide-to-bushcraft-and_23.html The only thing I would change is to get a Sawyer Squeeze filter instead of the MSR Miniworks.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Welcome to the forum, top advice from Husky there.

I have a proforce 44 it's a good bag especially given the price tag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE