Newbie chair-making assistance? :)

Jan 26, 2010
Ascot
First of all, hello!

Secondly, I'm a Live-Roleplayer/ex re-enactor, which ought to give you some idea about my state of mind when it comes to this project :).

Thirdly, and most important, I've decided to make a curule chair.

Now, having done the research on how curule chairs are made, I figure my plan should be this:

• Cut 1.5" hawthorn staves.
  • Steam, then shape each stave into an S-shape.
  • Joint the staves into an X-shape using a metal rod with screw threads at each end.
  • Stabilise the feet with 2 horizontal bars.
  • Stabilise the arms with 2 horizontal bars.
  • Add the back (2 staves with leather in between)
  • Add the seat (Leather)

That's the basic plan. But, I've been having problems finding new sources of hawthorn, and whilst I do have one source, I don't want to denude the entire spot. Also, I didn't want a plain leather seat and back, so I wanted to try stamping (not carving - I'm not that good!), but whilst I can find various stamps online, I have some questions about the theory :).

1. Hawthorn seems to be touted as a good, hardwearing wood, but is there anything better? I'm extremely poor, so this really is a case of me finding stuff that people are getting rid of and reusing it :vio:. I suspect oak is out of my league, and I'd prefer to use steamed heartwood rather than cut, but if I can't find enough hawtorn, what would be a good 2nd choice?

2. How thick should the seat and back leather be, especially as I'm designing the thing to fold?

3. Can stamping be effective with just a hammer/anvil system, or is a machine nessessary? How about a flower press system?

4. Is it possible to get large leather stamps?! Since all the ones I've found have been around 1/2", and authentic (ish) 17th century designs tend to be complex. I could just buy a load of small ones, but I don't want it to look too overwhelmed. From what I've seen, I'll need a line border (searching), inset nature-based patterns (I have a couple, but nothing repetitive), 2nd line border, possible corner feature points and lastly, a focal point in the centre (can't find anything big enough, unless it's that foot stamp!).

Anyone got any thoughts? :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
green ash is easy to split, shape and steam bend. It is also exceptionally tough wood, springy and resilient, ideal for any furniture components that take stress loads. It would be an ideal alternative choice.
Dont know about the leather though.....

Jan 26, 2010
Ascot
Thanks very much :). It was nice of you to reply!

I haven't had much luck with Ash. The wood I've come across has been fibrous and resistant to sanding, but I do wonder if I was using the right tree!

Hornbeam and oak have also been suggested to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE