New years day wander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
What a better way to start 2020 than with a wander about the forest in which I have permission to camp.....

When I turned up the car park it was full of range rovers and pick ups. Not a good sign as this kind of behaviour normally signifies a shoot is on and that means it's not safe for me or the shooters if I'm randomly walking through the trees. I called the land owner. Fortunately there definately wasn't a shoot on, but it was traditional for the game keeper, farm hands and shoot syndicate members to do a walk through the forest on new years day every year, checking the drives, gates and such for repair, all in good cheer, with everyone kept warm with brandy and game sandwiches. It would be safe for me to wander after all....

I didn't do much but walk about, looking to anyone else like a weirdo who's too interested in the examination of tree bark and the remains of fungi . Eventually I was chilly enough to look for a spot to take a rest. I found a small flat area on a steep slope and set up the jerven. I favour the 'hunters rest' style for short breaks. Protected on three sides from the wind and with a floor, it's the perfect set up, compact and cosy with a small brew fire in front...

1b94f72630e989583d7a05421121952f.jpg

The Jerven original really is bomb proof. I was asked ages to do a full review and I will get round to it (if anyone is interested?).

I began a search for small sticks. It's been very wet for some time. Fortunately there was a great deal of dead stuff hanging in trees so I scavenged everything I needed.

f44ab392a70e35feedec54b3e8db3150.jpg

My stove has become a firm part of my kit. I like it very much. I have had it a year now and it's been used hard. Faultless. It's this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainles...-Camping-Picnic-Outdoor-Survival/372080339679

Lighting the fire turned out to be harder than I thought. It's been a while since I lit a fire with a fire steel and I'm rusty. I didn't collect enough birch bark earlier in the day and I paid the price. I was lazy with the kindling as well. Not fine enough and not enough of it. After the third attempt failing I sat back and sighed. I knew what I needed to do, so I set off on the hunt for the right amount and quality of tinder and kindling. Eventually I came across a fallen birch, which was trapped under a fallen beech. I climbed through the tangle and got myself a decent sheet of birch bark. Proper job....

f5acdd84791b5ae71c3003ae17385c4f.jpg

I collected a decent sized bundle of fine kindling on the way back to my temporary camp and after scraping up half of the birch and stripping the remainder. Within a spark or three I had a small flame, which I added the birch strips one by one until I had a good heat. Placing the stove over the now hot fire I got a brew on.

8df546abad31d1b0205b0a67f0b9a8e9.jpg

While the water heated up I went and collected dried blackberry flowers to make a tea. The taste is subtle but better than plain hot water. There wasn't any pine trees about for traditional woodmans tea but it's nice all the same.

Tea drank and the fire burned out, I cleared everything up and made sure my time there would go unnoticed.....

113f7f4f581a86f2b73a531f053ac9df.jpg

As always on leaving I checked my watch. Four hours had passed since I had left my van. Time always seems to dissappear when I'm in the woods by myself. It's good for the soul. I got back to the van and headed home to another warm fire. But this one had my family around it to. Lovely.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ScottE

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Post script.... no, I have no idea why the pictures are upside down.....

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I'll take that as a tongue-in-cheek reply . But seen as you're a student, why don't you google it and find out.....

Fate will always arrange for us to be be bitten in the backside at the soonest opportunity :lol::lol:

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I can flip ‘em if you want, or send them back to you flipped.

53-E74-D0-E-4156-4-F28-86-C1-A07-F2-CD32-DB1.jpg
Yes flipping them would be nice, thank you. If anything, it'll stop people turning their phones or computer screens upside down.....

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes flipping them would be nice, thank you. If anything, it'll stop people turning their phones or computer screens upside down.....

Obviously I can’t edit into your post, but they are now flipped and edited into mine. It’s possible a mod might be able to copy/paste into yours.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Obviously I can’t edit into your post, but they are now flipped and edited into mine. It’s possible a mod might be able to copy/paste into yours.
That'll do buddy! Thanks very much! I guess I'll have to make sure I edit properly next time eh......

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lay a mirror on the keyboard and look into that. No biggie.
Looked like a very pleasant waltz in the woods.

Mixed snow and rain this AM. The conifers (spruce) are just dripping all over.
The forest is just as green and dark as it is in summer.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That'll do buddy! Thanks very much! I guess I'll have to make sure I edit properly next time eh......

No probs. Wanna borrow a tea bag or two? Bramble flower tea, whoever heard of such a thing? :D

Nice to get out though, I have a new Harkila bag that needs filling with the SVEA stove and something to sit upon. Proper tea for me mind, not that hippy rubbish.;)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
No probs. Wanna borrow a tea bag or two? Bramble flower tea, whoever heard of such a thing? :D

Nice to get out though, I have a new Harkila bag that needs filling with the SVEA stove and something to sit upon. Proper tea for me mind, not that hippy rubbish.;)

yeah I went a bit Ray there didn't I? Next time I'll take a tea pot and some Earl Grey!

Harkila are a good brand. Shooting gear... nice!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
yeah I went a bit Ray there didn't I? Next time I'll take a tea pot and some Earl Grey!

Harkila are a good brand. Shooting gear... nice!

Funnily enough I watched a sketch from Vic and Bob last night where Bob goes out to the woods impersonating Ray. Unfortunately I can’t post it here due to a testicle appearance. Worth a google. :D

Earl Grey, now you’re talking. The bag is a shooters bag, the Reisa. I’m not a shooter so much now, but I am a vain so and so and just really liked the thing despite it being a dog hair magnet.

https://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/17342/Harkila-Reisa-Rucksack/

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Funnily enough I watched a sketch from Vic and Bob last night where Bob goes out to the woods impersonating Ray. Unfortunately I can’t post it here due to a testicle appearance. Worth a google. :D

Earl Grey, now you’re talking. The bag is a shooters bag, the Reisa. I’m not a shooter so much now, but I am a vain so and so and just really liked the thing despite it being a dog hair magnet.

https://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/17342/Harkila-Reisa-Rucksack/
Noice rucksack!!! Looks like similar material to my Bergans Langevann hip pack. Now I wish you hadn't shown me that....

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Noice rucksack!!! Looks like similar material to my Bergans Langevann hip pack. Now I wish you hadn't shown me that....

Actually, looking at the Langevann and the other materials used, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they weren’t by the same manufacturer, the mesh and main fabric look identical. I’m smitten with the Harkila Reisa.

There aren’t many reviews, but Bushcraft Canada did one. Ignore the colour rendition, the bag isn’t brown at all, it’s that same dark green as yours.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE