New theories on use of hazelnuts in the Mesolithic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roibeard

Nov 8, 2007
waterford/Cork, Ireland
Hey,

For those who are interested in hazelnuts, there is a new theory on how they were utilized by hunter-gatherers in Europe. It involves germinating or "malting" the nuts prior to consumption. I wonder if this is practiced currently anywhere with hazelnuts or other nut types by people who sprout veg?
Interested reading and worthy of experimentation.

Here is a link to the conference poster.
http://www.discoveryprogramme.ie/en...48-hazelnut-processing-on-derragh-island.html

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Interesting stuff, I'm sure I read recently that a sizable 'spoil' heap had been found in western Scotland that indicated that early arrivals in the UK had made an annual visit to the same location to harvest hazelnuts over quite a considerable period of time.

I would think that hazelnuts would provide quite a sizable amount of nutrition for early hunter gatherers.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I remember hearing that hazelnuts were among the first plants to re-colonise after the ice-age and wondering if they were deliberately or accidentally planted by humans. It would make sense if you find a good hunting spot to plant a few hazel trees around to improve the local forage menu.

Z

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
interesting article, thanks for the link. you get similar huge concentrations of hazelnut shells in parts of Elizabethan London eg the Rose theatre, apparently they were a favourite snack. Sprouting theory is interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE