New Spyderco to play with - Proficient

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just had UPS deliver a package. A new knife from Spyderco to play with. Not sure that it will be everyone's cup of tea, particularly at the price it will inevitably be when it comes out here, but unlike the Spyderco BushcraftUK, no one will be able to say that the materials are not special! S90V and 3D contoured carbon fibre.

DSC02785_2_zps4rkrzmhs.jpg

I admit I have some reservations about S90V. I like S30V for a utility knife, but it took me a long time to give up on trying to keep it at a razor edge and accept that it worked better with a slightly rougher utility edge. Not sure how S90V is going to work out for wood cutting, but this new blade profile is meant as a more general purpose tool with more emphasis on hunting, camping, game and food preparation than there was for the Bushcraft, which was meant for bushcraft wood working ahead of everything else.

Out of the box the edge is very sharp, and it sliced through some seasoned ash with a lot more ease than I thought it might. Edge angle is a little lower than on a lot of high end stainless knives, so sacrificing some durability for cutting power.

Sheath is the same multi-position leather design and the Bushcraft. I know, it ain't pretty, but it is functional. In any case, I will be making something in Kydex for this new knife. Probably an openable clam-shell design that makes for easy cleaning.

Anyway, thought I would share.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
'fraid not. I was in Heinnie's over the Moot, and they had had a chance to handle the knife. Spyderco say they have them in and are just waiting to sort out paperwork. Should be in the next couple of months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE