used pine resin to glue it together and artificial waxed sinue to stitch
it, (I couldn't physically put an awl through the leather without breaking
it, so the holes were drilled with a dremmel type tool)some stain and
boot polish to buff it up.

Phone cam :eek:

sheath.jpg

sheath2.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice sheath woodsmoke I like the idea of the press stud, makes it really handy. How did you get on with the pine resin? did you add ash to help it harden?.

Simon.

Nice sheath woodsmoke I like the idea of the press stud, makes it really handy. How did you get on with the pine resin? did you add ash to help it harden?.

Simon.

Thanks bud. The pine resin...well I tried lots of things, I initially tried to purify it, somewhere on here I read if you mixed it with turpentine it dissolves, you then filter it and the resin will be left when the spirit evaporates. Well it didn't work for me, all I was left with was a gooey mush as the resin did not dissolve fully and that was before filtering, after filtering, there was virtually no resin beyond the coffee filter:eek: I'd appreciate anyone elses experiences on this.

So I just used the clearest (whitest coloured, untainted with debris) resin I had and lit it using a candle, and the dribbled it on to the leather to tack it in place before drilling and stitching. I used no additives and it worked but the leather needs to be bone dry or it won't stick well enough. :eek: so second time around worked!

I'm so impressed with resin asa glue, I'm even using it as a domestic glue in the house for odd jobs! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE