New Ray Mears series!

makermark

Sep 4, 2024
Australia
yeah i remember when this first aired, was proper excited. shame we don't get shows like this anymore, all about the drama now innit? miss the good ol' days of actual bushcraft education on telly.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Sadly i think there has always been a lot of aardvark turds made for television. I chat with Dave Knowles occasionally (Jack Hargreaves producer) and, whilst those shows were gold, remember some of the other dross that was turned out? I love what I describe as "gentle" shows. Victorian Kitchen Garden, Tales from the Green Valley and the like. I think they are occasional in every era sadly.

There may be an element of the rose tinted spectacles in my view, I suppose. Though there has seemed to be a marked change in the type of media produced which aligns with TikTok attention spans and hours upon hours of ‘Reality’ TV. I find myself watching the BBC less and less, and watching long form YouTube videos more and more.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Smoking herbs will bring you to the attention of Constable Knapweed!

I was watching a video where a chap living in a woodland shack was drying his own tobacco the other day. For some reason I didn’t even consider that you could grow it in the UK without an expensive setup.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
There may be an element of the rose tinted spectacles in my view, I suppose. Though there has seemed to be a marked change in the type of media produced which aligns with TikTok attention spans and hours upon hours of ‘Reality’ TV. I find myself watching the BBC less and less, and watching long form YouTube videos more and more.
It's interesting (though slightly depressing) to see how the entertainment industry has changed so dramatically in the last couple of decades. As you say, it all seems geared towards a short attention span and misses out on any long term impact. It feels like the equivalent of filling up on junk food.

Still, there does seem to be a demand for something more nourishing, so hopefully the pendulum will swing back again.

Reactions: CLEM and Chris

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Stay Alive with Eddie McGee, now that was a good show. Nostalgia for me and it was aimed at children. It was in a time when kids did go off into the woods. Ah golden days.

Reactions: CLEM

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
I've been having a yen for Ray's programming recently, but it seems to be frustratingly absent from any of the mainstream platforms.

I have found some alternatives here, hope they're ok and/or helpful:

Reactions: CLEM

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I was watching a video where a chap living in a woodland shack was drying his own tobacco the other day. For some reason I didn’t even consider that you could grow it in the UK without an expensive setup.
And coffee apparently, there are now several commercial small scale UK coffee growers, in East Anglia and Wales plus others as I recall from R4 programme.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We gave up our TV Licence a good few years ago, there are simply better things to watch & listen to. There is a huge world of choice, much available for free or a few pounds a month & stop when you want. If we think about the fantastic viewing of the modern era, be it GoT, Yellowstone, Ted Lasso etc. they are all made commercially.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And coffee apparently, there are now several commercial small scale UK coffee growers, in East Anglia and Wales plus others as I recall from R4 programme.
Have you heard of the place growing ginger, sichuan pepper & wasabi?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE