New lives in the Wild: Channel 5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Ben Fogle is presenting a new series on Channel 5 called "New lives in the wild". It starts on Monday 22nd April at 2100. Looks interesting.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/ben-fogle-new-lives-in-the-wild

Adventurer Ben Fogle gets a taste of extreme escapism in this brand new
series meeting those who have turned their backs on the daily grind. Each week,
Ben spends time in one of the world’s most remote locations, meeting the people
who now inhabit these inhospitable corners of the planet after leaving their
ordinary lives behind.

Our intrepid guide also wonders whether these extraordinary individuals and
their incredible experiences might tempt him to move his own family out of
London and away from the comforts of the city. Is it daring or downright crazy?
Ben wants to discover the truth about life in tough, harsh conditions, where
doing battle with Mother Nature is a daily reality.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
A bit more information here, only only a different name - "Where The Wild Men Are".

[h=1]Where The Wild Men Are[/h]
Channel 5 and Ben Fogle go to Where The Wild Men Are In this brand new Channel 5 series, adventurer Ben Fogle lives with people who have chosen to inhabit some of the most remote locations on earth and turn their backs on the daily grind. Where The Wild Men Are with Ben Fogle (4 x 60) will air in spring 2013.

But who exactly are the people who have the guts to make such a dramatic move? What are the challenges that face them? And what is it that led them to leave behind what most of us would deem "ordinary life"?

Where The Wild Men Are with Ben Fogle was commissioned by Steve Gowans, Channel 5 Head of Factual Entertainment, Features and Entertainment. It is a co-production between Renegade Pictures and GroupM Entertainment. Exec Producers are Harry Lansdown for Renegade Pictures and Melanie Darlaston for GroupM Entertainment. Series Producer and Director is Natalie Wilkinson. Producer/Directors are Livia Simoka and Elliot Kew.

Steve Gowans, Channel 5 Head of Factual Entertainment, Features and Entertainment said "These people have moved as far away from the rat race as possible. Ben immerses himself in their lives and it's a fascinating insight into how people embrace a truly alternative lifestyle."

Natalie Wilkinson, Series Producer and Director Renegade Pictures said “Travelling to exceptionally remote locations was a challenge, but then once he arrived, Ben faced these extreme lifestyles head-on. It was fascinating to see what kind of people can make living in such harsh environments work for them and their families.”

Tony Moulsdale, Head of Programming GroupM Entertainment said “Where The Wild Men Are is compelling viewing, not just because there’s a tiny part in all of us which dreams of escaping it all, but because the people Ben meets and the places he goes, are quite remarkable.”

Ben will visit the following places and live with the people who have ventured there:

Alaska, USA

30 something couple Bretwood Higman and wife Erin McKittrick moved to one of the remotest parts of Alaska 4 years ago, and have raised two young children in the wilderness. They hiked 4,000 miles to get to their new home and now live half the year in a self-built Mongolian-style yurt - and the other half trekking in the wilderness - accompanied by their infant children. The family chop their own wood for fuel, water comes from an underground well and their dog licks their plates clean. Ben learns vital survival skills to live in the wild -, grizzly bear protection, storm navigation and paddling tiny rafts through freezing waters to reach a stunning glacier.

Restoration Island, Australia

Former Sydney businessman, Dave Glasheen (69) lost $10million in a single day in the stock market crash of 1987. He and his wife separated and his home was repossessed. With his last savings, Dave bought the lease on part of Restoration Island - and it's here he's learned to live like a voluntary castaway. This real-life Robinson Crusoe and his sole companion, dog Quasi, inhabit a 100 acre volcanic island. It's a 40 minute boat-ride away from Lockhart River - the most remote indigenous Aboriginal population in Australia. Ben learns to oyster pick, brew beer, trade fish and dance with the locals in one of the world's last remaining genuine wilderness areas. We discover a man who lost everything once, but is set to lose it again - Dave is being evicted from his island home and is doing everything he can to stay...

Gorge River, New Zealand

Deep in the New Zealand wilderness lives a family in a place so remote it takes two days on foot to reach it. The Long family are hunter-gatherers who survive off the land and call a ramshackle wooden hut their home. Robert Long discovered the untamed area after dropping out of medical school 32 years ago. He and his wife Catherine have raised two teenagers in complete isolation, educating them at home and teaching them how to live off the land and sea that surrounds them. Ben immerses himself into the Long family's world, hunting with them, killing pests with them and gaining an insight into a way of life that makes him question his own lifestyle back in so called civilization.

Texas, USA

Former New York fashion photographer John Wells (53) ago quit NYC four years ago for a life off the grid in one of the most inhospitable terrains on earth. Hunting deadly rattlesnakes and decapitating dead cows to sell their horns are just some of the delights that now make up his day job, as is fitting in with the eccentric desert folk and doomsday preppers that inhabit the neighbouring Ghost Town. Ben joins John (and his pet rooster Carl) in their humble abode - a small hut made of scrap metal, complete with an outdoor bathroom that doesn't leave much to the imagination. A far cry from John's former mansion in New York state.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Definatley jealous of the alaska bloke, I can see why they do it. As for the other two, they'reless appealing , and it won't be as easy finding food in the desert. New zealand isn't that big anyway, hardwork when you don't have to. Probably why alaskas the first programme. To do it for ever, raising kids in the process, its a little bit too much. Nice to paddle yourself to your own personal glacier though ! I will enjoy waching it though.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I stand by my earlier post sxmolloy, the fella in australia, although very appealing, he was hardly a life in the wild. Brew (beer)kits from the supermarket. His own car and boat, £10,000 a year, oysters on the rocks, visits from fishermen, children abourigonal towns near by, broadband internet dating. More like a life of leisure!

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
It was a good watch but I agree with petro. He was living to for himself to an extent but still had a lot of influence with the "civilized" world.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
I stand by my earlier post sxmolloy, the fella in australia, although very appealing, he was hardly a life in the wild. Brew (beer)kits from the supermarket. His own car and boat, £10,000 a year, oysters on the rocks, visits from fishermen, children abourigonal towns near by, broadband internet dating. More like a life of leisure!

OK Petro but I only gave you a heads up, I had no hand in writing, filming, directing etc, etc any of these episodes.

I've yet to watch this, it's in Sky+ so when I get chance I'll have a mooch.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well the 'validity' if his life aside I enjoyed the show. Quite clearly a bit of a character but what a guy! Looking forward to the Alaskan family next week.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
the australia episode shows how partnerships often go wrong, he bought the lease as a partnership and his partner wanted to sell while he wanted to stay, if he can't buy out his partner he is stuffed, both parties are equally entitled to their wants which is why partnerships are often disastrous.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Definitely jealous of the Alaska bloke, I can see why they do it. As for the other two, they're less appealing , and it won't be as easy finding food in the desert. New Zealand isn't that big anyway, hard work when you don't have to. Probably why Alaska's the first programme. To do it for ever, raising kids in the process, its a little bit too much. Nice to paddle yourself to your own personal glacier though ! I will enjoy watching it though.

About the same size as the UK but the UK population is around 62 million and NZ's is only 4.5 million so lots of space.

I've watched all three now on Channel 5 player and have enjoyed each on their own merits. Its been interesting viewing and I'm looking forward to the remainder of the series. Only comment so far would be on the sheer irresponsibility of the couple taking the we'ans out on those wee rubber coracles. Short life expectancy if one of those tipped in the waves that they first attempted the paddle in.They'd have been hypothermic in minutes. Just paddled down the Spey and got capsized, boy you don't realise how cold you get so quick.

Just my tuppence worth. Thanks for the heids up on the show as I'd have missed it otherwise.

Windy

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
It's a bit like Bear Grylls, one has to remember it's just entertainment, first 2 i found ok! The NZ, one was the best so far, but having been a tree surgeon for a long time, i was very worried before the rope snapped(and could have caused serious injury) Any treefeller, would tell you that was doomed, as soon as he saw the shot afterwards, of the difference in gap between the dip and the back cut, also probably done with a mickey mouse farm saw, if he had paid more attention to the tutorial he had supposedly read on the internet, the rope would not have snapped,sorry sounds like i am an anorak, but somebody could have even been killed.

Still for the benefit of, the programme it made wincing viewing, but remember, it's just entertainment

Ivan...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been enjoying them, they're a bit frustrating though as he just seems to be getting into it and it's time to go home again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE