New Leather Pieces

Just finished a few little things over the past few weekends and I have to give a huge thanks to Ozhaggishead's original post for the inspiration (I hope you dont mind :eek: ). It is pretty similar although I have modified it to have a roundheaded pin and cross strap to close the lid.

Could anyone give any idea how to finish the thin leather, I have resolene finish in a bottle which I use on the thicker leather but I have no idea how it would be on the thinner stuff.

I at last found some use for the goat leather I had lying around, it was certinaley different to what I am use to with the thicker leather.

The belt in the pic below is a bit too small and I kind of placed the hoop too far along. Im looking to make a thinner one later.

IMG_8788-web.jpg

It is not 100% finished yet, I still need to get some thonging (which will replace the white thread) and dye the thicker leather. Not sure what colour yet. Maybe just go with the dark brown.

IMG_8780-web.jpg

IMG_8781-web.jpg

As well as the possibles puch I made a new pouch for my compass or anything else that size. The only problem is the screw for the brass head is magnetic. :( Anyone know where to get non-mag ones as I dont want to screw my compass up.

IMG_8782-web.jpg

IMG_8785-web.jpg

IMG_8786-web.jpg

IMG_8787-web.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Just replace the screw with a brass one. It doesn't have to be as wide as the Sam Browne screw, a small one will do if you put a copper washer between the screw and the leather.

You'll find small brass screws that'll fit at B&Q in the hardware isle. Failing that, a model shop should have one.

Another alternative I've used is to epoxy a small piece of folded copper wire right into the stud. Push the wire through the hole in the leather then spread the two ends of the wire out either side of the hole. A touch of epoxy on each leg will fix them to the leather. If that's inconveniently obtrusive, glue another piece of leather on the inside so it covers the wires (that will protect the compass housing from scratches.)

Eric

Thanks Eric. I will have a look into that.

Just replace the screw with a brass one. It doesn't have to be as wide as the Sam Browne screw, a small one will do if you put a copper washer between the screw and the leather.

You'll find small brass screws that'll fit at B&Q in the hardware isle. Failing that, a model shop should have one.

Another alternative I've used is to epoxy a small piece of folded copper wire right into the stud. Push the wire through the hole in the leather then spread the two ends of the wire out either side of the hole. A touch of epoxy on each leg will fix them to the leather. If that's inconveniently obtrusive, glue another piece of leather on the inside so it covers the wires (that will protect the compass housing from scratches.)

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE