New Jacket please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
this was done for good reason before and after goretex was used by the army. "To stop the nylon/goretex material rustling noise. If you got a little wet so what tactical was more important. More importantly you still would remain Mostly dry if just a little damp.

I know some think like that, and true the older rubber kit was horrible noise-wise. But the noise of the goretex is drowned out by your webbing, weapons, foot-fall etc..

Tonyuk

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Sorry rorymax I have no personal experience of this jacket.

As I said earlier I'm an advocate for windproof jackets over gortex shell but am not all that keen on surplus camo. I found this website in my search for a plain colour alternatative that didn't break the bank. Currently saving for another wardrobe to store all these b***** jackets in before buying another!

Thank you for that Monspoonmaker, appreciated, I'm tempted to to take a try-out on your suggestion, ta-friend.

rorymax

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Thank you for that Monspoonmaker, appreciated, I'm tempted to to take a try-out on your suggestion, ta-friend.

rorymax

There is some interesting and good-looking stuff on that website albeit their Marketing Department could be said to have a somewhat unique approach to a sales pitch!! I quote:

"Unbelieveable thing consisting of canteen, cup and a two-piece mess tin. Good stuff for good price if you are not in a hurry, or if evil stuff is your thing.

Serbian surplus, this was originally taken into service by the Yugoslavian army, and indeed taking the pieces apart is as difficult and painful as was dividing the country that originally made it. Our guess is that these continued to be used by the Serbs because after a quick drinking pause every soldier was frustrated enough to make atrocities without anybody specifically telling them to.

As usual, the designer had good intentions and no field experience at all. It's a bit like russian grandmothers - inside of which there is another grandmother, inside of which there is another grandmother - but different."

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
their Marketing Department could be said to have a somewhat unique approach to a sales pitch!!

Maybe their marketing department has discovered Google Translate? That's always a dangerous place to be unless the person reading it has been forewarned that strange stuff is about to come their way. The Monty Python Hungarian Phrasebook sketch just about nails it :)

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Ive got the full BA gortex suit and a Buffalo special 6 shirt, Just fancied a jacket that I can use on walks and when I'm in the woods. Still not made my mind up, Birthday soon you never know...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I would second an Arktis smock as I have the sniper version in what is now retro DPM. You can get a good deal on them at the country shows Country Covers exhibit at but be prepared for the somewhat intense sales pitch.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
The current issue MTP British army jacket is very water resistant, water just balls up on it when it is laid flat.

GS workware in Grays Essex have had Black, OG and camo copies of the current British Army jacket made, they are about £60-65 and I love mine and they seem really good quality.

This is the Goretex lined version of the same jacket http://www.armynnavy.co.uk/mvp-pcs-lined-smock.html

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I would simply go for s SAS Smock perhaps the ones sold at Bustcraftstore (not connected by the way)

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/sas-kit-carry-sniper-smock---olive-green-399-p.asp[/url]

or

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/windproof-fleece-lined-traditional-style-smock-812-p.asp (Own the Un-lined version of this and its great)

I own those exact two items also. Replaced the windproof smock with a buffalo mountain shirt over the winter (cos I had money!) but they items together are perfect for down to about 2-3oC.

Used them on many camping trips. The kit carry smock dries in about 20-30 mins and does a great job stopping wind too. I took a stitch picker to it and removed the upper arm pocket and all the rear camo loops (kept getting caught on bushes - the irony).

They will both last on my gear list for many years!

I'm moving away from 100% "waterproof" gear and tend to carry a small pack-jacket in my pocket that can go over me in a downpour. I hate feeling clammy.

If I'm walking the dogs and it's like a hit submarine outside. Yes, ridgeline smock. Otherwise I don't bother.

Chris71127

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2015
Ipswich
Pleased with my pinewood lappland extreme. Waterproof and I don't seem to get clammy. Find there stuff good value compared with some of the other brands that you pay a real premium for the name.

Have an Arktis coat at work. Good quality and last really well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE