New handle for this knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
I have a (very) old knife, and sadly the handle have worn out a long time ago. It's currently only by the use of loads of duct tape, that it's secured properly to the blade.

It use a bit special way of attaching, as cen be seen on this photo

What I would like, is to make a new handle, but I have no idea how to holow out a handle in the exact same shape as the tang of the blade ?

The blade is really good quality, so it would be a shame to not be able to continue to use it.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
There are a few ways, really. One is to just drill out a hole with a single drill bit with a diameter that matches the width of the tang. This, however, leaves a gaping hole for epoxy to fill. I personally don't really have issues with it, but some would certainly consider it unsightly. If you do this and don't want a blob of epoxy at the top, you could always make a bolster out of something else to hide it. Or use the one you already have!

Another method (one I just used for a sgian dubh handle) is to drill out many small holes, and either connect with a small hacksaw blade, or some other means. Along the same lines (ie making a close-fitting space for the tang) is to use something like a steel skewer, heat it to red hot and burn through the wood. I love this method, personally, but I'm sure it would pose a problem with hard woods.

My first method for overcoming this, however, was to use two handle scales as you would for a full-tang knife, and hollow out a space for the tang on one of them and glue the whole lot together. I'm still quite fond of this.

The last thing I can think of right now is to make a stacked handle, either out of wood or (what I've really been wanting to try) leather. I imagine it's much easier to cut out the tang hole and get a snug fit when deeling with slices rather than a solid block of wood.

I will say now though, you don't necessarily want a tight friction fit. you want some room for epoxy to grab hold. For this I'd also recommend notching the tang with a hacksaw blade or file!

Hope this helps
Pete

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Do you have an idea on what material you would like? I have used wood, leather and antler. The type of material will help decide the construction method.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
I would have to agree with the advise given above. Don't try to fit a new handle in one piece, but rather slice it. This way you can make each slice fit nicely and makes it possible to get some nice effects by using diferent materials.

Sanding with very fine paper when the handle has been shaped, should give you a very nice and smooth result.

The steps to take would be,

1. Make slices a few milimeters thick form the material(s) you would like for your handle.
2. Make the holes for your tang, using a small drill and some small files
3. Fit the handle slices, secure with epoxy and thighten the screw at the pommel.
4. Let the hole thing dry for about 24 hours.
5. Shape the handle as a whole, so it fits your hand.
6. Finish the handle using sanding paper and polish it.

Hope this helps...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I just thought of something else, as well. If you're thinking of antler, it has a porous core that becomes soft when soaked in hot water (close to boiling) so you can push the tang in and let it dry. I've heard that this alone makes a strong handle, but I've never fully trusted it so I tend to make the hole with the tang and then wiggle it out and use epoxy as normal. Whether this will work depends on the antler I think though, as some of them probably don't have enough of a core.

Pete

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
That looks like a first rate project. Of course you can do what you want but if I had those parts I'd do a stacked leather handle. I made one with a Mora blade that turned out fairly well for a first time. The trick is to make sure you make the leather disks plenty large so you don't get dents in the handle when its all finish sanded.

Here's the Mora I did. Stacked leather and black horn bolsters. This tang had a stub I had to peen over. I had previously compression clamped the leather and front bolster in place until the glue cured, then glued the other bolster and peened it in place.

img2114ih0.jpg

Mac

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
You seem to have all the bits you need to make a stacked grip (as people have already said)

If I'm working your pic out correctly, (working clockwise)you have a blade and bolster, a lock nut (is it brass and knurled on the outside BTW), a pommel (looks to have a bit of a hook to it, no bad thing) and a bit I can't work out

You won't need to peen the end of the tang over (as Pict did with his) as you already have the lock nut that fits on the end of your tang (and will compress the 'washers' between the bolster and the pommel)

I'd hazard a guess that your knife originally did have a stack grip

Whatever material you use for the washers, make sure at least some of them will squash (slightly), this is why leather tends to be used for this kind of hilt. Some fancier ones have other things used as well, like wood,bone, horn, plastic, ivory( not good these days) ,glass, soft and hard stone and metal

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I sorta assumed the final piece was either a spacer, or the original handle on end taken from above (since it was mentioned that it's still there). If it's a thick metal spacer, I'd advise against using it as a large area of metal in the middle of the handle often proves to be uncomfortable.

Would you be able to post a picture of the pieces side-on? If parts of the handle are in reasonable shape you could use a few slices of it in the final handle which would be a nice touch, and keep a bit of sentimental value in it :)

Sorry I don't seem to be able to drag myself away from this thread :eek:

Out of curiosity, do you have any info on the knife or the maker? I see "Hans Anderson / Denmark / Stainless" but a google only turned up stuff about Hans Christian Andersen... it looks like a nice old knife.

Cheers
Pete

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Hi :)

Thanks for all the great response to my post!

The thing that stands up is indeed the original handle. It's being held together with duct tape, as I assume it's broken underneath. The hole you can see, fits with the tang of the knife.

The two metal parts acts as a lock to the wooden handle, and the small nut screws it all tightly together.

I initially thought about doing it with some hardwood, as I really love the look of the different wooden handle knives so many of you have made.

The knifemaker doesn't exist anymore, and haven't for many years. About 15 years ago when I was a boyscout, one of the leaders told me that it was a good knife, but they weren't made anymore. it sharpens nicely, and carries the edge very well. As you can see, it have been sharpened many, many times before. Much of that wear is from before I were given it to me.

How would it work with making a hardwood handle for it?
Would the better option be to make it in two to three 'slices', and then glue them together, and then insert the knife and lock with the nut? I asume that if i make the handle well, I will have no reason to change it again in the near future?

The leather option is also appealing, partly because it sounds easier to work with with the tools i have avalible right here.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The knifemaker doesn't exist anymore, and haven't for many years. About 15 years ago when I was a boyscout, one of the leaders told me that it was a good knife, but they weren't made anymore. it sharpens nicely, and carries the edge very well. As you can see, it have been sharpened many, many times before. Much of that wear is from before I were given it to me.
I thought that might be the case, nice to have a bit of history as well as a sentimental item, though :)

A hardwood handle should work great; you should definitely use epoxy to hold it together as well though in my opinion. Since the hardwood won't compress when you tighten the nut, it's quite possible that the nut will come loose if everything isn't glued in place.

Would the better option be to make it in two to three 'slices', and then glue them together, and then insert the knife and lock with the nut? I asume that if i make the handle well, I will have no reason to change it again in the near future?
I'd say only use a stacked handle if you want one. It will be easier to cut the holes for the tang, but I wouldn't recommend gluing them together before adding to the tang. I would glue as I put them onto the tang, to ensure that everything is lined up properly, and then I'd clamp it.

A well made handle will often last a lifetime :)

Cheers
Pete

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk

The leather option is also appealing, partly because it sounds easier to work with with the tools i have avalible right here.

Why not combine the two ideas?
Have a few short sections of hardwood (cut with the grain of the wood) and put leather washers between them and the metal parts (this will give you something to squash with the locknut, keeping the whole thing snug), you could even recycle some of the old grip

Or you could use thin slabs of hardwood (cut across the grain) with washers between

Its easier to cut or drill several short holes/slots then one long one

First job is to strip the tape from the tang so you can see what kind (and size) of hole you'll need, then you'll have to decide how you're gonna cut those holes

Feel free to pick the brains on here, there is no such thing as a stupid question, so just ask (its how we all learn)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE