New handle for my S. Djarv Hantverk Crooked Knife (off the Woodlore site)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I saw some of the Ray Mears documentary Northern Wilderness the other day and remembered I've been meaning to use some decent wood to re-handle the S. Djarv Hantverk Crooked Knife Blade I got off the Woodlore site after the Ray Mears lecture I went to back when the documentary was originally airing in something like 2008.

Its a great crooked knife, £55 I think it was. Not bad for hand made.

I ripped an off cut of my new workbench thinner, I really like the double edged Japanese saws for this kind of thing.

Almost deep enough.

Never need an excuse to use my Roselli Carpenter, FANTASTIC tool.

Good old 5mm Stanley Chisel.

Perfect

I didn't blow through the back, well will be top as I was hoping not to.

A good sand to smooth it out and an oil and that will do nicely.

All I did to mount the blade as use some UHU Extra gel glue on the blade and a bit under the 1mm thick waxed cotton (that I use to sew most of my leather craft). Really only for it to stay put, but still easy to get it off easily if needed, unlike if I was to use 2 part epoxy. I got a free tube with some normal general purpose UHU glue I got, it seems idea for stuff like this as its a thicker general purpose glue than the normal stuff, but a good step down from super glue.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Very nice. Is this based on a mocotaugan knife?

Do you get a lot of use from it? I'm thinking of having a bash at making one.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
It looks quite like a mocotaugan style, I think it's a bit thicker though its got to be the better part of 2 to 3 mm thick on its spine.

Also been a long while, she bit me today, I'd just stropped it and it sank an inch into some pine. That better handle means it digs in a lot more than before!!!

First time I've had to use my FAK for ages. I'm glad I added some 3M strei-strips to it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE