New handle and sheath for Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey. Thought I'd show you chaps a re-handle and sheath project. I love the skrama, it's a quality tool. Birch handle, leather and ash sheath. Not meant to be historically accurate, just me playing with some wood and leather. I am only looking to slide the knife into my pack, not to hang it anywhere on me. I left the leather flap on the side as I may punch some holes in it for lashing, fixing. more than likely I'll just trim it.

My second sheath, which is why it looks so clumsy I guess. Need more practice. Maybe I'll make a MKII for it sometime. I enjoyed it though. Many thanks to Hamish 'the master' for his encouragement.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SAM_9710.jpg
    SAM_9710.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 310
  • SAM_9712.jpg
    SAM_9712.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 308
  • SAM_9721.jpg
    SAM_9721.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 307
  • SAM_9716.jpg
    SAM_9716.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 312
  • SAM_9718.jpg
    SAM_9718.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: Justin P

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wonder why you think that looks clumsy? Far from it, a very nice job all round; very nice indeed :)

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Well I too am a convert to the Skrama.
Just love that birch handle. I think you should do the sheath in the same at some point as that would be something special. I'm a succour for stripy wood.
Its a hobby and when you get such results its well rewarding. Keep at it because its worth it and not many can do it. My efforts aren't very good at all.

The Skamas's pommel eye is perfect for putting a toggle through. I used a deer antler tip and leather thong. Sadly, I can't show a picture because my first Skrama is now in Scotland, and I've yet to do it again on my new one. Anyhow the toggle is perfect for securing the blade in its sheath; almost a safety catch for when travelling.

Reactions: quietone

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks chaps. Appreciate your kind words. I guess, because I was very mindful of the fact that it was my second sheath, and that my experience in these things is limited, plus the standard of work seen on here is astounding, made me see it as clumsy.
I didn't struggle with the handle, that was quite easy and straightforward. Robson, I pretty much copied the original varusteleka designed rubber handle. Which is a very nice handle, I made mine slightly thicker in the belly at the backgrip, the foregrip a little thinner.
The leather was another matter. I rushed it at first, not intentionally though, due to inexperience. Did a bit one day, left it alone for weeks, did some more left it alone...
I didn't plan it very well either, changed my mind loads of times, finally settling on a much less intricate design. The idea of the serpent body securing the knife came to me by accident. I was looking to avoid using and metal snaps for fastening and it popped into my head. I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. All in all, a very pleasant time spent in fashioning it. :)

I'll post some pics of the stages, but I'm struggling to find them. I dropped my phone, which is where most were, and can't seem to get to grips with the android file system at present. Awaiting replacement device to shove the card into. :/

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Very nice work. Can you tell me more about the Skrama? How do you find it?

Cheers
Andy

It's a joy to use. Excel's at chopping, batten's with ease, feathers superbly. Can also be used as a draw knife if needed. It came razor sharp too, which I didn't really expect. I've only ever needed to strop it a couple of times, and even then I don't think it needed it, just did it out of love ;) It holds it's edge very well indeed. I think it's quite light to carry, for what it is, I'm not sure of the exact weight. It never feels cumbersome in the hand either. I have no experience of other knives this size, so I can't compare it to anything else. Hope that helps.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
When I first saw this thread in the menu box I was shocked and thought why would you want to change a Skrama......But once I opened the thread and saw what you have done to it....hats off to you, you have made a great knife into something to behold and be very proud of.

I do have a couple of questions with adding the wood to the handle have you changed the balance much? the normally Skrama has an excellent balance and I find it a joy to use. Did you put a drain hole in the bottom of the wooden sheath to to assist it after a possible dunking?

Reactions: quietone

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
When I first saw this thread in the menu box I was shocked and thought why would you want to change a Skrama......But once I opened the thread and saw what you have done to it....hats off to you, you have made a great knife into something to behold and be very proud of.

I do have a couple of questions with adding the wood to the handle have you changed the balance much? the normally Skrama has an excellent balance and I find it a joy to use. Did you put a drain hole in the bottom of the wooden sheath to to assist it after a possible dunking?

Thanks Pete. I am even more attached to it now, after getting comments like that from other users. I must admit to not even thinking about the balance until after the handle was nearly sanded. But lo and behold, and luckily for me, it was nearly spot on. I think I'd have had re-do it if it wasn't.

I sent some images to the guys at Varusteleka, and they liked it I think. They even gave me a money off code for my next order.

So, I'm a very happy chap indeed. :)

ps.. forgot to say that I drilled a little drain hole in the ash for dunkage. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2016-04-13_10-55-45_245.jpg
    2016-04-13_10-55-45_245.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It's a joy to use. Excel's at chopping, batten's with ease, feathers superbly. Can also be used as a draw knife if needed. It came razor sharp too, which I didn't really expect. I've only ever needed to strop it a couple of times, and even then I don't think it needed it, just did it out of love ;) It holds it's edge very well indeed. I think it's quite light to carry, for what it is, I'm not sure of the exact weight. It never feels cumbersome in the hand either. I have no experience of other knives this size, so I can't compare it to anything else. Hope that helps.

Cheers bud. Much appreciated.
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE