New fangled screw/drill thing

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi All

Power tool numpty here, I have a few hundred screws to drive in so a friend has given me an unused power tool which he says will drill and screw.

I have compared it to my brace and bit only to find that the new beast is a tad more complicated.

1full_drill.jpg

It has symbols and numbers but changing settings does not make any obvious when I just run it (not use)

it has numbers one to twenty and a yellow switch?

2detail.jpg

It say on the side that it is a 3in1 two gear multi drill it does not mention that it will screw? So can it be used to drive in screws?

The label

3label.jpg

Any tips for taming and using this thing please

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The hammer is a hammer drill setting - for drilling masonry
The drill is normal drill or screwdriver setting.
The numbers relate to torque. If using the drill as a a driver you want this as low as will work. This prevents over tightening or damaging a screw head.
Usually the trigger controls drill speed.
I think the yellow slider is direction - drill in, or unscrew.

yes its a drill driver

you have a rotating collar (your pic No 1 and 2 arrows and 20 ) this sets the type of use the

No 1 Hammer pic sets Hammer which is used to drill into masonary

the No 2 is a drill pic you set this if your drilling normally into wood metal etc

the numbers are used when screw driving and are preset torque in this case 1 to 20 settings 1 being low 20 being max when the screw gets to the tightness the clutch will slip so you can set it to the correct depth and not worry about over doing them needs a bit of trial to get the right number but set low firts and increase till your happy

the large rectangular slider is which gear usually 1 is low speed and best for screws

above the trigger you have a rocker which will change teh direction of rotation so you can screw in or out

ATB

Duncan

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
yes its a drill driver

you have a rotating collar (your pic No 1 and 2 arrows and 20 ) this sets the type of use the

the No 2 is a drill pic you set this if your drilling normally into wood metal etc

the numbers are used when screw driving and are preset torque in this case 1 to 20 settings 1 being low 20 being max when the screw gets to the tightness the clutch will slip so you can set it to the correct depth and not worry about over doing them needs a bit of trial to get the right number but set low firts and increase till your happy

the large rectangular slider is which gear usually 1 is low speed and best for screws

above the trigger you have a rocker which will change teh direction of rotation so you can screw in or out

ATB

Duncan

Thats what I reckon as well ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
yes its a drill driver

ATB

Duncan

Pretty much that^.

Although I hardly ever use the torque setting on my cordless and just let the trigger off when the screws in about right.
To be honest the hammer setting isn't much cop either and I only use that when I am fitting a couple of door stops or just can't be trashed getting the corded SDS drill, transformer and extension out the van.

Pretty much that^.

Although I hardly ever use the torque setting on my cordless and just let the trigger off when the screws in about right.
To be honest the hammer setting isn't much cop either and I only use that when I am fitting a couple of door stops or just can't be trashed getting the corded SDS drill, transformer and extension out the van.

its not a cordless its a 500w Mains power so better to use the setting

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

I have just built a workbench from some 12" x 2" that I scrounged/recycled from a building site nearby.
Would you believe that they had dumped eight 5ft lengths of nice clean 12x2inch planks into the skip.
No finesse just screwed the 12" x 2"s together :)

The drill/driver was amazing the screws just whizzed in, turning the torque up sent the screws an inch deep into the wood, it would easily have driven the screws right through :)

Hi all

I have just built a workbench from some 12" x 2" that I scrounged/recycled from a building site nearby.
Would you believe that they had dumped eight 5ft lengths of nice clean 12x2inch planks into the skip.
No finesse just screwed the 12" x 2"s together :)

The drill/driver was amazing the screws just whizzed in, turning the torque up sent the screws an inch deep into the wood, it would easily have driven the screws right through :)

I should think so 500w is nearly 3/4Hp they have a lot more poke than even a 18w cordless ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE