New DIY Kitchen Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've just finished making this kitchen knife.

It has a 6 inch carbon steel flat ground blade (old leaf spring), teak handle and cupro-nickel ferrule.

The ferrule is made from a Danish 2Kr coin (sorry Denmark!), ideal because it already has a hole in the middle.

I've also made a plastic slip sheath for it until such time as I can make a knife block. The sheath is made from the lid of an ice-cream tub, and the stitching is particularly manly, made from stainless cable (an offcut of bicycle gear cable), and secured by a couple of crimped ferrules (sections of ally pop rivets).

Here it is alongside a smaller knife I made a couple of years ago, as you can see it has patinated nicely, so it probably won't be long before the new one looks like that.

This knife has been work in progress since late last year, and I don't have any WIP photos, so I can't enter into the competition, but I have an idea for a better knife for that.

Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE