New digital camera advice needed ?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
My wee samsung digital has given up the ghost i think, so i,m on the prowl for a new camera . i had a canon ixus before the samsung wich was a great camera far better then the samsung ,so has anybody got any advice on any other camera to look at ? i know very little about photography as you all know already lol,i need a camera that is very simple to use , tough, is good at close up pics and landscapes and will not burst the bank .

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Depends on how much you want to spend - but I got a Canon Powershot SX220 for around £200 a few months back and the picture quality and zoom function are absolutely fantastic.

Wanted a compact with a really good optical zoom - and this seemed to be the best.

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
I used to use 35mm SLRs and these days I use digital SLRs, so compacts haven‘t been my thing. Maybe that’s my loss: often I wish I had something small enough to put in a pocket. Personally, whatever the type of camera I’d tend to look at what people who also sell good SLRs—people like Nikon, Canon, and Olympus—are putting out. (Not that people newer to cameras like Fuji and Sony aren’t worth a look, too.) I’m not surprised you said your Canon was so good. One important thing is the quality of the lenses, and with Canon that’s what you’re going to get.

At one time—probably still—the camera makers used to try to sell on the number of megapixels on the sensor. But that’s a bit of a “how long’s a piece of string” thing:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/res-demyst.shtml

People like to fasten on something and preferably something that can be quantified. You get the same thing with computers, so there used to be a fascination with “specs”—speed of the processor and so on. But if the build quality of PCs from Brand X is useless, and the percentage of units that’re actually “dead on arrival” is high, it really doesn’t matter if its shoddy products have better numbers on paper for processor speed, disk size and so on than someone else’s. Apple have turned this on its head by coming out with the iPad which isn’t fast (because you can’t get a fast processor in there) and hasn’t massive storage space (because it doesn’t use a traditional spinning hard disk—too delicate for a portable), but which is really well-designed and well-built and easy, self-evident and fun to use through the touch interface. It’s not about the specs of the device: it’s about the experience of using it.

I’d not pay too much attention to specs but look for something from the kind of maker that “gets” cameras in the way that Apple gets computing devices. Is the glassware—the lens—good? Is the body nice and solid, a comfortable shape to hold with the parts fitting well—good fit and finish? Are the controls in sensible places? Are the read-outs and settings clear and having that kind of obviousness that good designers build into things.

I think I’d go somewhere that specializes in cameras but that’s large enough to have attractive discounts—somewhere like Jessops—and get them to show you a few in your price range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE