New Cold Steel Tomahawk.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I received a Cold steel Tail Tomahawk on Thursday,

My first Impressions... well the Black has to Go... the Grub Screw will be lost... and the Helve is marked due to the head being rocked on.. even that was not a good fit to the top of the helve.... the little sticker has to go as well..

So off cam the sticker.... I had to force the head off of the Helve..

First of all I smoothed out the eye of the head and reshaped the Helve and got rid of the marks, sanded it smooth.. the head now slide off if I want to take it down.

I then attacked the head, removing the thick Black gloss Paint, then re-profiled the cutting edge, at the moment the Grub screw had been binned, and a hole is left, I have ordered some mosaic pin and I will drill all the way through and fill the tow holes with the pin...

Then to make a Mask, I wanted a way of securing the mask with out a modern snap or a Sam Brown so use a bit of leather tong and a couple of beads.... Its made from 3mm Veg Tan, and has been Double stitched.... the next thing that I thought would finish it off would be a leather guard for the helve, this I made from 2mm Veg tan and some more thong and beads..

DSC_0037.jpgDSC_0039.jpgDSC_0040.jpg

Hope you like what I have done

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I just dropped a blob of weld into the grub screw hole and then filed it down....the head got nothing near hot enough to effect the temper.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I just dropped a blob of weld into the grub screw hole and then filed it down....the head got nothing near hot enough to effect the temper.

That's a really really good idea. Even I could do that! And there's still a hole in my CS pipe hawk. Thanks!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

I did think about next time I am down the workshop to just blob a bit of weld in the hole, or even a bit of brazing just to give it a feature and also a quick Identification mark, as I know a few have these, then thought hey make it even more personal, some Mosaic pins.. :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I drilled out the other side and filled both holes with a bit of brass rod, and some file work just to make it mine

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Just seen this on the other thread.

Great work. I like the idea of mosaic pins to make it personal. A nice drop of boiled linseed will colour it a bit and bring out the grain.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just seen this on the other thread.

Great work. I like the idea of mosaic pins to make it personal. A nice drop of boiled linseed will colour it a bit and bring out the grain.
Thank you, I am thinking an Oiled finish... but once I' am happy on it.. :)

Nice work, again looking forward to seeing this on the next meet. How about some leather indian type dangles on the handle. The examples I,ve seen of this look grand.

Thank you, it will be there, as will my other axe'y things', I do like things to look good , but funtion has to come before form, dangles I can see will hinder use, may be unsafe, and get damaged durring throwing and thats the main reason for getting it, I am not a fan of even lanyards on axes or Machattee's, but thats another subject and dont want to turn this into a lanyard agument thread.....

Good work Stu, looks really nice.

Thank you, most apreciated

Nice work.

If you are anything like me you will love using that hawk.

Thank you, it will get use mainly as a throwing axe and a Boone'y type retro axe, rather then a every day use axe, I tend to find Hawks a bit too light for my liking, I enjoy using most of the tools that I have and use them as many times as I can :), I look forward to learnign to throw with it :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Light is the point for me.

This is an axe I can fly and hike with that will deal with something bigger than a folding saw can handle.

Trailhawk_in_Norway.jpg

It would be a mistake to under estimate that tool.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Light is the point for me.

This is an axe I can fly and hike with that will deal with something bigger than a folding saw can handle.

It would be a mistake to under estimate that tool.

Please dont Get me wrong, for light-ness and portabilty I can see the benifits.. but for holding and grip and feel in the hand I like something a bit hevier, plus all my axes have Helve that I have made for my grip especialy my fav ones, if I was to fly anywhere I would think about bout the Hawk for sure..

I also like the idea of the ease of just carriying the head, quick and esy to make a hleve for as well.. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE