New carving axe

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Have had short play with them several times over the years but I never like to judge a tool until I have worked it pretty hard for some time. The temptation is always to feel comfortable with the tools you know and anything similar will feel good. Sometimes I find a tool which at first feels all wrong but if I use it for a long time and learn how to use it differently then suddenly it becomes great. I have no doubt this is a very good axe, and it's also very sexy to look at.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I've put a handle on this now (pics on my blog), but i'm not really pleased with it aesthetically. That sounds stupid, i guess it doesn't matter what it looks like, but as Robin said above, this is a sexy axe and it needs a handle that compliments it. I guess i really need to have a play with it and put it through it's paces, that way I can adjust the handle if necessary and at least i'll have an idea of what works and what doesn't.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Well i had a chance to play with this tonight and my first impressions are very good. It packs a punch when necessary, but is also great for fine, accurate work. The extended toe is great for slicing cuts and for detailed work and you can also choke up and make planing cuts. One problem that i did encounter is that it doesn't have a poll and every now and then when making a precise split (usually as a way of quickly splitting out waste) i like to place the axe in position and hit the poll with a baton. This is difficult with the lack of the poll and the sweep of the handle. A very minor criticism though. Can't wait to put it to work again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE