New carving axe on it's way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
My new carving axe is on it's way and should be here in a few days. It's made by Nic Westermann -thanks again Nic! -and is the third one down (in the 2nd pic) with the dark handle here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106613

The head weight is about 600g so will be quite a bit lighter to carve with than the GB swedish carving axe I'm using now. I'm really looking forward to getting it!

Specs from Nic:
The axe is made from mild steel with a bearing steel ( 52100 ) edge laminated in. It goes about 1 1/4" up towards the poll. The steel is 59-60rc. Head weighs roughly 600g, edge is just under 4 1/2" and edge to poll is 5 1/2"

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
It has arrived safely, with the added bonus that the customs folks have seen fit to let it through without any duty or other charges:D.
This is a very beautifully made axe, with a heavy leather mask, which I am especially pleased to have since my leatherwork sucks.
IMG_4226_zps4602a357.jpg

IMG_4230_zpsf991894c.jpg

The handle is substantial, with a squared knob, and fills my hand completely . It's made of ash, stained with van dyke crystals (never heard of these, had to google it!)
IMG_4231_zpsbabafd22.jpg

IMG_4244_zpsf7fa8da7.jpg

A close up of the head, showing the mirror polished edge. The poll is very nicely rounded so that if fits comfortably in the palm when carving
IMG_4228_zpsa3ca192f.jpg

As seen, the handle and wedge protrude above the eye quite a lot. Nic said he does this on his axes for ease of removing the head for sharpening. I wanted it to be less so I cut it down but left enough of the wedge protruding so that if the head ever loosens, I can tap the wedge in farther, as per Nic's advice.

After cutting it
IMG_4254_zps12c80cb2.jpg

There is a lot of hand clearance when choking up, enough so that when wearing mitts I can carve at -40:lmao:
IMG_4258-Copy_zpscab31281.jpg

I haven't had a chance to use it much yet but did get to play a bit.

Flattening this piece of birch was easy enough with the razor edge and nice full grip giving excellent control
IMG_4241_zps9f15af77.jpg

With a head weight of approximately 600g, it's much lighter than the GB swedish carving axe I've been using, and will not replace it but rather will be used alongside. It's light weight and razor sharp, fully flat bevels make it a slicing demon, very lively in hand and easy to control with no fatigue for the time I used it.

The GB tires me after awhile, but it's added weight has many advantages so I will never part with it as it's just too good at what it was designed for, but there were many times that I wished for a lighter axe to be used along with the Gransfors, and now I have it.
To say I'm very pleased with my new axe would be an understatement:).
In fact, with the well made thick leather mask, I just might sleep with it under my pillow tonight:rolleyes:
Thanks again Nic.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Very nice looking axe. You must be well chuffed with it. :)

I am yes. I even managed to rough out a spoon just to see if I could cut myself:D (and managed not to!)
IMG_4269_zps4c3bffe6.jpg

It makes teeny little curls
IMG_4264_zps97ea1ff3.jpg

Still need to hollow out the bowl but I'll stick to a spoon knife for that
IMG_4267_zpse16c1694.jpg

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Glad it got to you in time, added bonus that it slipped under your customs radar!
Nice to see the axe being used and used well at that. Thanks for the review as well, always nice to get feedback.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Nic, I just wanted to add a couple thoughts that I forgot before. Your mentioning feedback prompted my memory. First, your makers mark. That mark is important to me. It tells me (and others) who made it. It's genuine. It tells me I have an original work by a craftsman. Being hand forged it's unique and individual. You may make a hundred more of the same axe, but no two are identical.

Second is the finish. I think it cannot be improved upon as far as aesthetics. The look is very attractive.
It was one deciding factor in my wanting it. When I first started looking for a lighter carving axe to complement the GB Swedish carving axe, the other one that I was considering was the Svante Djarve little viking. What turned me off completely was the finish. As far as I can tell when looking at photos of it, it looks to have a black painted finish. I was immediately reminded of the cheap, tacky looking hardware store axes.
Of course the SD axe is top quality I'm sure, but for me their chosen finish provides a disservice to what I'm sure is a fine tool. Besides, your finishing work is much nicer;)
So there it is for what it's worth, but that's how I feel and I'm probably not the only one that thinks like this:)
SvanteDjarvvikingaxes_zps36c1d35d.gif

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
In fact, with the well made thick leather mask, I just might sleep with it under my pillow tonight:rolleyes:

And I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that. My that does look really nice, just about the perfect size weight and shape. It's already been a mind worm for a few weeks this just compounds things.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I think the pictures of the Svante Djarv finish can be deceptive. I tried to find out how they're finished, but couldn't find any info. It's not like the painted heads that you referred to, the forge marks are clearly discernible. I assume it's to inhibit rust or may even be a result of the forging itself.

nic's axes look fantastic. This one looks very similar to the Hans Karlsson axe. I think my next axe will probably be a Nic Westermann axe.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Thanks for the feedback on finish, I try to forge as close to size as I can to minimize grinding - I had a look at a SD axe last weekend and I am pretty sure it wasn't a painted finish although it did look very glossy, there was a fair bit of grinding that had then been blacked in the fire but generally it looked like a nice axe, eye shape was a little odd but I don't think it would have any effect on performance.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks for the feedback on finish, I try to forge as close to size as I can to minimize grinding - I had a look at a SD axe last weekend and I am pretty sure it wasn't a painted finish although it did look very glossy, there was a fair bit of grinding that had then been blacked in the fire but generally it looked like a nice axe, eye shape was a little odd but I don't think it would have any effect on performance.

You would know far more than I about the finish. If it's not painted then I stand corrected, with apologies to the maker:eek:. The glossy finish is what threw me off. I still like yours better though:).
One question if I may please? I said in the specs that the laminated edge that was forge welded in went back towards the poll 1 1/4'' inches. Did I get that right?

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
It hard to tell precisely what finish is used especially from a picture.

I part forge the axe from mild steel then cut a slot and weld in a piece of bearing steel, the initial cut is around 1" deep, When I weld it together and flatten and shape the blade out this gets close to 2" in some blades. However I then trim the edge and lose some depth. So 11/4" is a safe estimate but it isn't a precise science!
It is worth remembering that the edge steel is only present around the centre, you can regrind this slightly to a left or right hand bias but you can't overdo it or you will end up with a mild steel edge.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
It is worth remembering that the edge steel is only present around the centre, you can regrind this slightly to a left or right hand bias but you can't overdo it or you will end up with a mild steel edge.

Thanks very much for clarifying the hardened part of the bit width. I thought I had initially misunderstood it to be 1/4''. I'm happy to have much more:)

A very good point about the edge steel being only in the centre. I hadn't even given it a thought. I will be keeping the centre grind though, so I shouldn't be messing it up!

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
those axes work!
unique, let the old glorys re-live!
enjoy m; I got the Gransfors woodcarver also nice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE