New Campfire grill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
I've looking for materials to make a grill for Base Camp cooking, mainly for courses and larger meets when you don't camp far from the car. I recently foraged a piece of mesh from an engineering companies skip and then found a misplaced sign left behind from some maintenance work on a cycle path. Between the two I have made this grill and spent nothing on it apart from time. Hopefully it should work well over the fire but the mesh may prove to be too thin, we shall see.
https://instagram.com/p/8qJZTPRwlQ/

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Like the look of that. I have a bought version, but its a flimsy wire frame compared to yours.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Looks excellent ,well done. The best mesh that I've found is the bottom out of super market trollies, I found one that had been run over so was only scrap. On this note, I'm currently waiting for planning permission to build a garage/workshop, when it finally comes through I intended to get a welding machine & make some stuff like this.

Rob

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I was looking at one from Ronnie Sunshines and the mesh looks very thin.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, its light weight... but not much use... I think mines a Coghans or something like that, but it looks like this....

grill.jpg

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
I have seen these but thought they would just buckle with the heat.

I have a grilliput which I put in my backpack, I know a lot of people don't like them but I really rate them for a light weight grill. There is always room in my pack for it and although its heavy for its size its perfect to cook on.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Used it directly over a fire on one of the meets and it didn't buckle, but it wasn't very stable either. We managed to balance two mess tins on it (emphasis on the word balance) so it did serve a purpose... and I suppose considering it weighs next to nothing and packs away flat, it is still something I'll take with me as its best use is for putting a frying pan over the fire. Doubt it would take the weight of a Dutch oven or even an iron skillet, so as I say, although its not entirely useless, its uses are very limited.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE