New Build Costs.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just wondering if there are any builders out there familiar with costings for New build structures?

Having spoken to a few architects they seem to infer that the overall build cost for a New Build property works out to be circa £1800 per square meter - this would include foundations , brick/block work , roof structure . 1st and 2nd Fix and general finishing off to a medium standard.

Just want to get an idea Builders out there think that is a fair /accurate figure of what to expect for new build structure?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
That sounds about right but bear in mind that the architect concerned is specifying the materials etc and his fee is a percentage of project value so there is room for saving on that.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That sounds about right but bear in mind that the architect concerned is specifying the materials etc and his fee is a percentage of project value so there is room for saving on that.

Assume you are a Builder Robbie?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Was ☺

Now turned game keeper.

Not entirely sure what that means but guessing you are something like an NHBC inspector?

Would something like a Garage Annexe have the same amount of costs involved? I'm kinda finding that difficult to believe but then come to the same self realization that I have no actual direct experience to draw upon.

Attachments

• anexxe.jpg
    anexxe.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 5

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I know almost next to nothing about building things, but many years ago Next Door had an extension and garage built...

...and I made sure to lay my hands upon the plans and elevation sheet, and put it in with my deeds...

...just in case...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I know almost next to nothing about building things, but many years ago Next Door had an extension and garage built...

...and I made sure to lay my hands upon the plans and elevation sheet, and put it in with my deeds...

...just in case...

Is this relevant to this thread Tengu ?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
You would need a few estimates to get a realistic price for a build like that, I would assume that the sq metre floor space coverage would be at least 40 sq metres, (431 sq ft) which would give you a price of about £72,000 which I would think was a little steep, Shop around and be careful,
have a look here to give you an idea on costs.

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The £1800 per square meter is the sort of price that is quoted for extensions, this reduces to around £800/m2 as the projects get bigger.

I project managed a rebuild after an arson attack on a old cold store a few years back, to a high standard building suitable as a 2 very large homes. This worked out to be £208/m2.

So as fadcode said, shop around, it really is worth it, and if skills allow get stuck in with the work, the savings to be made are huge, even if it just painting.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Something to think on is the uncertainty around materials right now. I’m involved in a couple of build projects and there is going to be some early procurement of items to make sure they are available when needed and also at a reasonable cost.

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
1800-2000 per sq meter sounds about right, spec dependant. Pitched roof structures are more expensive than flat imo. Whatever, make sure you allow a 10% contingency on top for any unforeseeable's, issues in the ground, fluctuations in labour and material costs etc. If you don't mind coordinating them you could hire individual trades which would work out cheaper especially if you supplied all the materials which again would save a few quid

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE