Dog sitting for a few months

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Friends of mine have been having a rather hard time lately, starting with the lady who went from healthy and happy to wheelchair bound and very ill in a matter of months.
She has too many problems to list and her and her husband have just hunkered down and got on with it.
Along with all the doctor and hospital and associated stress a few weeks ago there house decided to give up the ghost after a whole 4 yrs!!
They have a new build with rainwater collection in the attic and solar panels on the roof etc, and for unknown reasons (lazy builders etc) there water collection decided to suddenly dump hundreds of litres of water through there house.
They had just spent month sorting the downstairs to be wheel chair accessible with wet room and special hospital type bed in the front room. All of which has now been destroyed.
While they are being emergency housed in a........Hotel room!!! over 45 miles from where they live, they have had to leave there Cairn terrier home alone.
Up until now a neighbour had been supposedly looking after him. (going in once a day to let him out for 5 mins and filling his food and water.)
So when we found out we decided to house him until such time as they have got things sorted out.

He is a lovely little dog, a bit weary of my 18month old baby girl but we will make it work.
So without further ado, may i introduce my bushcraft and walking mate for the next few months Tommo.

He will give me the reason i dont have to go out and start walking again in this poor weather and maybe even accompany me on a few over nighters.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good on you for looking after your friends, and Tommo of course; I'm sure you'll have a great time with him :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich". Sabin.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Good on ta for helping out, poor lil bugger wasn't having any quality of life living in the house on his own.

How's he settling in?
Looked after a few dogs over the years and some really struggle with different folks

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Tommo is lucky to know you and will appreciate you very much.
At the moment there is 7 dogs in the house, one of them is a paying quest that has spent 9 months with me, in 3month spells. No drama, but she sure is happy compared to being in a kennels.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
He i settling in ok. He didnt pee or chew anything last night so i think were safe.
He does have a little growl when my daughter runs up behind him so were keeping a very close eye on them when there are together and never leaving them alone in the same room, just hoping he will get used to her in a day or so.
But he is a stinker........god know what he has been fed the last few weeks but, dam......he reeks!!!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
He i settling in ok. He didnt pee or chew anything last night so i think were safe.
He does have a little growl when my daughter runs up behind him so were keeping a very close eye on them when there are together and never leaving them alone in the same room, just hoping he will get used to her in a day or so.
But he is a stinker........god know what he has been fed the last few weeks but, dam......he reeks!!!

Dunno if you've had much experience with terriers so sorry if i'm teaching a chicken to lay eggs, but they do tend to be a bit "vocal"

Took months of training to stop our Jack Russell growling.
Be sitting watching TV and or JRT i'd be laying next to the Mrs, i'd stand up to go for a pee or get something from the kitchen and she'd growl (the dog not the Mrs).

Made a mistake in trying to dominate her, i'd try putting her on her back till she calmed down, this just made matters worse.

In the end i'd stand up, she'd growl, i'd wait till she calmed down and more importantly relaxed (sometimes took 15 mins+) then i'd give her a treat.
After a couple of weeks of this she wouldn't growl, so i continued giving her a treat when i went close to the Mrs.

We still get the odd growl when she's near the kids, but it's tougher to train the kids to sit still for 15mins relaxed than it is the dog :lmao:

Should clarify that she's never bitten anyone and when i made the mistake of trying to dominate her from the off she had the opportunity, it just seems that she's saying keep away.
Had it with several other terriers as well.

So you're spot on for keeping an eye on it, especially as you don't really know the dog, but be careful on how you deal with it.
If the dog is nervous then the old method of putting him on his back could well cause more problems than it cures.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Yeah I used to work and train security dogs. At the moment it not worth doing anything as he has been very unsettled for a few weeks and its his first time living with a toddler.
He had been a lot better this morning and seems a bit calmer so we will just wait and see.
If the growlimg carries on or gets worse then we will make a plan and start from there.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Yeah I used to work and train security dogs. At the moment it not worth doing anything as he has been very unsettled for a few weeks and its his first time living with a toddler.
He had been a lot better this morning and seems a bit calmer so we will just wait and see.
If the growlimg carries on or gets worse then we will make a plan and start from there.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed then, poor little fella probably doesn't know if he's coming or going :(

Again hat off for helping, good on you all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE