New blade, nearly finished!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
I've been playing with this design for a few weeks now, full height flat grinds / convex etc and decided to see what it'd be like with a high Scandi?

Still got to finish the handle shape (you can see the line where I've decided to change the butt) and heat treat and get some handles on but I'm pretty pleased with it as a Scandi..

Steel is 01 FGS
Thickness is 3/16"
Overall Length is 233mm
Sharpened Blade Length is 110mm

Sorry for the rubbish pics but photography isn't my strong point..

IMGP0432.jpg
IMGP0433.jpg
IMGP0435.jpg
IMGP0434.jpg

Hopefully we can get above -9 in the garage cum workshop tomorrow so I can finish this one and start on the other 2 that will make this a matching trio!

Thanks for looking!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
uwwwwe, culloch, very nice mate, looking forward to seeing the scales on it dude, any idea's what you are going to put on it, i'm thinking black liners, and desert ironwood burl, wood look breath taking on that blade, with a dark choclate sheath.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
uwwwwe, culloch, very nice mate, looking forward to seeing the scales on it dude, any idea's what you are going to put on it, i'm thinking black liners, and desert ironwood burl, wood look breath taking on that blade, with a dark choclate sheath.

Not really sure yet matey but probably either Bog Oak with red liners or Sandy Tufnolwith red or black liners!

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
That's real nice that mate.
I have a request , please pleeeeease show me how to do a grind like that , I'm having trouble doing anything but a convex grind.
Who's doing the HT mate ?

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
That's real nice that mate.
I have a request , please pleeeeease show me how to do a grind like that , I'm having trouble doing anything but a convex grind.
Who's doing the HT mate ?

Richie' once the roads are better, bring some blanks thru and we'll do some Scandi grinds!
There's a guy in down by Keith might get the HT job, he's proper "Old School" ! :rolleyes:

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Cheers mate , no probs on the HT , the burner is always on the go for something.

I've been playing with the 01 steel and so far not very impressed with the temper lines that I've been getting...............I might be doing something wrong mind but I don't think so.
I've been quenching as you know in veg oil , that's so I don't get flare ups but next experiment will be back to used motor oil (again) and see if that help. I just have to have a lid available.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Looking good Culloch - I have to ask is that for you or your lad?
- what handles are you going for?

Richie - I might have a HT job for you in a month or so. - it is too big for me. ;) - lots of work to do on it yet though.

all the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE