New axe from Santa.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I am getting a Gränsfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet from Santa the Xmas lucky me but what would you recommend for protecting the handle Danish oil, vanish, nothing?
I’ve got to look after my new precious.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i just leave mine, the oil from my hands is enough but any oil rubber over now and then wont go a miss...:)

enjoy the chopping dude, they are AWESOME!!!!!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I do a bit of outdoor archery using wood shafts and found that unvarnished they get a bit polished and slippery after a while especially when wet but my pals arrows with Danish oil on stay gripper longer and are much nicer to cubble sorry handle.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Come on lads, what do I know about axes I am normally the hammer and marigolds type.

• Take a stanley razor blade and use it to scrape the existing finish off
  • When you've scraped the finish off dampen the bare wood with warm water and dry
  • When dry lightly scrape again to remove any raised grain.
  • Repeat the above process until you're left with smooth wood after you've dampened it
  • Get some boiled linseed oil and warm it gently, apply with some fine wire wool then leave to dry. Take care with disposing of the wire wool
  • Repeat the linseed oil process every day for a week
  • Then repeat once a week for a month
  • Then repeat once a month
  • Then repeat as you feel necessary.

After all that you'll have a finish you'll be proud of :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cool Bluebs4 enjoy.
My pal has a GB small forest axe and a GB wildlife hatchet but whenever we go on a long distance walk or a coast to coast hike we only ever bring the WH by far the handiest size of axe and more than capable of performing any job.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers Mesquite
I knew I read that tutorial recently for axe handles somewhere but I couldn’t find the instructions on the forum .
Excellent Bro.
There's Nothing Like A Good Piece Of Hickory!

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
  • Take a stanley razor blade and use it to scrape the existing finish off
  • When you've scraped the finish off dampen the bare wood with warm water and dry
  • When dry lightly scrape again to remove any raised grain.
  • Repeat the above process until you're left with smooth wood after you've dampened it
  • Get some boiled linseed oil and warm it gently, apply with some fine wire wool then leave to dry. Take care with disposing of the wire wool
  • Repeat the linseed oil process every day for a week
  • Then repeat once a week for a month
  • Then repeat once a month
  • Then repeat as you feel necessary.

After all that you'll have a finish you'll be proud of :)

Good advice. That's what I do with my personal axes. I generally add a coat of ren wax to the mix as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE