New Atlatl (spearthrower)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I finished my new atlatl today.
The peg is a deer vetebrae. It has a 2oz antler block to serve as a banner stone set close to the handle to increase the stability of the throw.It is held in place with sinew and leather thongs and i've used a leather spacer to help keep it in place. I am a bannerstone sceptic but included one as an experiment. So far I can;t see they do much but counterbalance the longer and heavier darts.
The handle is leather thonging and makes the thrower feel really nice in the hand.

I think I'll be using this one for our competition on the 25th
atlatl107ab2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] .

in the hand
atlatl112vj5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Looks good. I've never tried a bannerstone, I'm rather sceptical too.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Very cool!

Haven't tried a spearthrower yet, but I hear they work well.

I don't think a bannerstone does anything but to add weight to the throw. Should be advantageous if you are using ultra-heavy mommoth killing darts. But when using a lighter dart it shouldn't make any difference to how far you are going to throw. That is using bowlogics, which essentially should be the same.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
the physics of it all rather elude me. i would have thougth a lighter thrower would work better for speed and therefore distance. The weight does make the thrower more stable however and as I throw whopping 180 odd gram darts serves as a nice counter balance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE