nettles

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
went out for a walk todat collected a bag of nettles i made this earlyer. its a nettle soup very nice any one tride anything els with nettles???

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
I love nettle tea. However, they have to be just right in age to go in the net ready for the boil up. Then add a few lime leaves in with the nettles and you have a nice side salad.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Try them completely Natural, and as RM demonstrates,
Pick off a few of the lower leaves and then scorch over the embers of your fire for a few seconds on each side - then pull off the top leaves like you did as a kid gathering grass seeds. Its a great demo piece for introducing newcomers to wild foods.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Nettle and Cheese Quiche is a family favourite and becoming a bit of a phenomenon in the area as well, most people ask if the green stuff is cabbage or spinach, we don't correct them until they've had at lease three bites and by that time the squeamishness is well and truly over and done with lol!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Yup,
I tend to put some mixed herbs in and some finely diced onions (uncooked for crunch), mum added some crispy fried bacon once and that was nice...

Boil the nettles for about 5 mins, and drain for twenty, they're a bit like cabbage, they really hold the moisture. If you want you can press them to squeeze out as much as water as you gan, but they can become a little like paste doing it that way.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Mmmmm, sounds good, will have a play with it and let you know how I get on :)

I've already converted everyone to the joys of nettle beer, so we could have nettle based dinner one day :D

camokid

Forager
Mar 3, 2009
coventry
sounds good chaps defo doing a quiche i just got two hens today so will av plentey of eggs soon. the soup is megga green enjoy johnnytheboy let me no what you think

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I had my first nettle soup of the year a couple of days ago. The nettles are really good right now.

I made mine using a leek and potato soup recipe but instead of leeks I used nettles. Tasted pretty good.

Basically it's made with potatoes, onions, garlic and a bunch of fresh nettle leaves (only). Saute the onions and boil the rest in water with a stock cube and a few herbs until cooked. Toss in the onions, cook a bit longer and then blend the lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE