Nettle string?

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Do any of you know a good way of preserving nettle string?

I've tried coating it in a pine tar mixture but it sets too hard. I have a long nettle fishing line that im hoping to treat somehow to make it last longer, any idea's?

Andy >>>>>---------------------------------<>

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does it need it ? It's basically like linen, so it doesn't like acid conditions but is stronger slightly wet (I'm not advocating keeping it damp incidentally)
Stockholm tar is the usual stuff traditionally used to protect sea ropes.

I've got linen twine that I made perhaps eight years ago and it's still sound, doesn't get used for fishing though, just lacing up clothing.

cheers,
Toddy

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
My reasoning for trying to preserve it is that if kept wet, it rots. Everytime its used for fishing (honest guv i've not used a handline on an inland UK waterway) it has to be dried out again afterwards. I was just wondering if there was a better way of making the line last longer?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
mate i make purse nets for rabbiting out of hemp which is losely related plant , i dip them in cupranol and let dry once use thy become supple again, hemp nets are notorious for rotting.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My reasoning for trying to preserve it is that if kept wet, it rots. Everytime its used for fishing (honest guv i've not used a handline on an inland UK waterway) it has to be dried out again afterwards. I was just wondering if there was a better way of making the line last longer?

Fisherfolk dried out their nets and lines too. It's a skiddle to do, but natural fibres by their very nature will decay in our temperate climate.

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I ought to have written nettle twine, not linen.
M

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
<pulls up a sandbag and swings the lantern, ready for an old war story!>

When i was in the Mob, we used to "Waaah" each other when on operations. You'd ask something really obvious, somebody would always answer and then the person who asked the question would point at the person and loudly proclaim "Waaah!" You didn't get anything for it, it was just a way of easing the tension and getting through the day. My mate Charlie was a master at it, he could get anyone time and time again.

So the answer to the difference between linseed oil and boiled linseed oil would be - One's been boiled and the other hasn't, to which you'd go Waah!

:D

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Boiled used to mean just that but these days it contains chemical agents to speed up drying and make it more varnish like, which is why boiled linseed oil is a nono on spoons, Kuksas, etc.

I'd try unboiled or raw linseed oil as the drying may stiffen the line.

Andy

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
<pulls up a sandbag and swings the lantern, ready for an old war story!>

When i was in the Mob, we used to "Waaah" each other when on operations. You'd ask something really obvious, somebody would always answer and then the person who asked the question would point at the person and loudly proclaim "Waaah!" You didn't get anything for it, it was just a way of easing the tension and getting through the day. My mate Charlie was a master at it, he could get anyone time and time again.

So the answer to the difference between linseed oil and boiled linseed oil would be - One's been boiled and the other hasn't, to which you'd go Waah!

:D

Ahh, got ya! :)

I thought it would have to be something military. Cheers for the explanation!!

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Boiled used to mean just that but these days it contains chemical agents to speed up drying and make it more varnish like, which is why boiled linseed oil is a nono on spoons, Kuksas, etc.

I'd try unboiled or raw linseed oil as the drying may stiffen the line.

Andy

Cheers for that, its one of those things i've wondered about when i've seen it in shops but never got round to finding out about!

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
In old times the fishermen up here soaked the nets, ropes and also the sails in water boiled with tree bark (inner bark of birch I think).
A little salt and tar was sometimes added.
You could try this.

Tor

Now this sounds like a plan!

I'll try the linseed oil as well, but birch bark is something i have loads of, so i'll try the boiling method.

Thanks for the replies :)

Andy >>>>>---------------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE