Netmaking 102

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I originaly posted this tutorial as a method of showing netmakers how to increase their speed

Over time I have found that it is easier to teach (and learn) net making by using this method. At my net making demonstrations I use this method rather than the traditional "loop to the left" way.

You do not have to remember to make the bight (loop) to the left. Just grab the needle as shown (the twine coming off the bottom of the needle) and keep the twine over your wrist, the loop forms automatically. Try it. Tony

The Tatting Method

At one of my net making demonstrations years ago a spectator who was a tatting expert suggested this method. It eliminates the need to make a bight to the left of the loop you are tying into. This results in a increase in the speed of the netting process.

1. Go through the loop of the previous row as normal . Maintain the Pinch. Instead of making the bight (loop) to the left, bring the needle to the right underneath the cord so that the cord lies over the back of your hand.

2. Bring the needle behind the 2 strands as usual, the cord stays around the back of your hand.

3. Back your hand out of the loop and tighten as usual.

nettingtatting1.jpg

nettingtatting2.jpg

nettingtatting3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE