Netbook/laptop advise needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Does anyone use a netbook for surfing? I've just moved in with my girlfriend and basically we have to share a laptop as my little mac no longer has a space! She plays lots of online scrabble and I can't get online!!!!

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on these as I want something very portable but would like to be able to run youtube videos and maybe the odd stint on the iplayer too.

all comments very much appreciated!

Leo

Last edited:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have a Dell Mini 9 that I won in a competition. It's great for surfing etc, but the 8Gb HDD soon fills up if you try and put other software on it. Ubuntu or another Linux variation may be better than Windows when you're considering. Mine's got built in Vodafone 3G broadband and that works really well when out and about.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
I use Samsung NC10 for everyday surf. Great little machine. No problem with web surfing, watching YouTube and iPlayer videos. Always take it with me when I travel. Very good battery life. I get on average 7 hours, depending on what programs are running at the time. Built in Bluetooth and SD card reader plus three USB slots. I think for the price you can't go wrong with it. You may have difficulties running some programs on it due to screen resolution but so far that's the only problem I have with it. You may consider upgrading RAM to 2Gb. Helps a little.

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
Dell Outlet have a free shipping offer on at the moment. A refurbed Dell Inspiron Mini 1011 will set you back £174 delivered and comes with a 160Gb HDD, webcam and Windows 7. I bought my Mini 9 from here and it was as good as new. As suggested a memory upgrade could be useful but it'll be fine for basic tasks and web browsing.

Operating System
Operating System English Genuine Windows 7 Starter (32 BIT)
Memory
Memory 1024MB (1x1024) 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel
Hard Disk Drive
160gb 5400 rpm HDCertified
Refurbished
Certified Refurbished
NoteBook Screen
Display 10.1in Widescreen WSVGA with Truelife
Processor
Atom N270 (1.6GHz,533MHz,512KB)
System Color
LCD Back Cover Black
MISC
Battery Primary 3-cell 24W/HR
Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b g)
Camera Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel
Base
Inspiron Mini 1011

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE