Nesting Zebras

N

Nomad

This has nothing to do with stripy horses building nests.

Here is a 12cm Zebra billy...

attachment.php

If I take the lid off...

attachment.php

...I find another lid inside, upside down. If I take that lid away...

attachment.php

...I find a cup, which I remove to reveal...

attachment.php

...a 10cm Zebra stashed inside the 12cm Zebra.

[cue cheesy Ta-daa!! sound]

How can this be? Did I distort the spacetime continuum?

No!

Let's pull it out a bit to reveal the trick to the astonished audience...

attachment.php

That handle looks a bit odd - it no longer has the straight section in the middle. Here are the 10 and 12cm billies next to each other for comparison...

attachment.php

Explanatory Witter

The thing that stops the smaller billy fitting inside the bigger billy is the 'corners' on the handle, at each end of the central straight section. On the basis that these things are sold as lunch boxes, which one presumably carries, it follows that you want a handle that is shaped to be comfy for the typical amount of time it's being carried (to school or work, for example). For bushy use, this is much less of a requirement, so there is little reason to retain the straight section with its attendant corners.

So, if you move the corners inwards a bit, you can make the smaller billy fit into the bigger one. I used a vice as a press, along with various round bits of metal as formers to flatten out the corners a bit (increase the radius to be more precise) and to create an angle around the detent in the middle of the straight section. A better shape might be something that's more curved overall, but this is quite hard to make because the handle in section isn't flat - it has a comfy curved profile. It might be worth just flattening it anyway and then making a more curved bow shape, but it seems to fit okay as it is. I might tweak it some more later.

The fit is quite snug - the rivets at the hinges push very slightly against the inside of the bigger billy and it needs a little push to get it to go in. Once in, there is virtually no rattle, and a little press on the sides of the bigger billy between the rivets on the smaller one (ie, 90° away) make it easy to extract.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I like the idea of that.
does the newly bent handle then sit under the pot when inside the larger billy and where abouts on the handle did you squeeze it in order to get the shape. So many questions!!! But I have the same bully's and being able to nest them together does as you say make them more usable.
Thanks

N

Nomad

I like the idea of that.
does the newly bent handle then sit under the pot when inside the larger billy and where abouts on the handle did you squeeze it in order to get the shape. So many questions!!! But I have the same bully's and being able to nest them together does as you say make them more usable.
Thanks

The middle of the handle comes down to about level with the base of the billy. The bending is really straightening at the bits of the handle either side of the middle that are closest to being corners. I kind of jiggled it into a vice, and put a wide bit or round steel (about 1.5 to 2" in diameter) on the inside of the handle, and a bit or round brass (0.5" dia) on the other side, the brass running along the channel shape in the handle. Gently tighten the vice to flatten out the corner a bit, and alternate between the two corners. I also eased a bit of curve, by hand, into the straight parts of the handle to account for the corners straightening out. The middle of the handle was bent by putting a 1" dia bit of metal on the inside, and a 2" dia bit on either side of the centre on the outside. Again, gently close the vice to ease the handle into shape.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks for that description I've trying to picture what you mean and I think I've got it will wait for some free time and give it a go.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The lid locks are a waste of time, put the pot on the fire guess what they melt. My second pot, first. Thing I did was remove the lid locks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE