Nest Robber scoping out his prey (Large picc)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He is a lovely thing and amazing as he takes off over your head - I hope he doesn't take all the moorhen chicks though :(

519636704_c390c67f25_b.jpg

Red

Edit to add - I think BBs picture is better than mine (my excuse is that she saw him first and grabbed the SLR)

519681399_d6d7a1d811_b.jpg

Gives a nice comparison though - top shot with my Kodak Z740 compact, bottom one with the EOS 400D SLR

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Great shot and judging by the sunshine not taken the bank holiday weekend!!!!! When I was a kid the sight of the occassional heron in arable Suffolk was something to remark about, then I started growing on koi carp in local farm ponds and my remarks were rather more colourful.
Now they make a pleasant sight again as we canoe along the river. I am sure the toughest, smartest chicks will survive.

Just noticed the comment on cameras - makes a great difference to be able to blur out the background and focus on the object. I have just replaced my 10 x zoom kodak (my daughter dropped it) with a 3 x Panasonic Lumix fx 12 with leica lense. I nearly bought another high zoom compact type but decided to buy a small handy compact this year and a DSLR next year.

Looks like you are getting good results with the Canon - Andy Rouse sings its praises http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/arouse/CanonEOS400D_review.html

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Hi Red
Hope you don't mind me adding another photo here but I took one of a heron last week on my local canal, they are amazing as they take off... silent and effortless. Something a bit Pteradactyl about them. I had no idea they eat moorhen chicks though :yikes:

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Another nice pic firestarter- fully mature male, striking colour contrast - what camera you using

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Add away mate - great shot!

Oh those were taken this morning KAE1 - nicer day now most are back at work!

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thats a great quality pic for a high zoom compact (or any camera come to that), nice pose from the heron too.
I have often thought of hanging up my rifle and substituting with a DSLR, problem is if I do that someone else will have to manage the deer which means restricted access for me = less oportunity for me to enjoy the wildlife.
Next year I plan to do both, take the rifle when I need to (+ compact in pocket) and DSLR when rifle not required.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Red,
How about combine Roe rut with a chance at some Red staggies at start of August?
I'll send PM if interested.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A quick update...the old moorhen nest was deserted so we feared the worst. However it seems the moorhen relocated the nest to another spot thats more protected after hatching

These little fluff balls are all over the garden (7 in total)!

526582875_58491d6e9d.jpg

Red

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
More outstanding pics guys. I reckon (not that I know one end of a camera to the other) that the general quality of photos is so high that you should aim to have them published. Keep em coming! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE