Nessmuk's anti mozzie "varnish"

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I was reading Nessmuk's book last night and came across Nessmuk's recipe for an anti mozzie "varnish" as he puts it.

3 ounces pine tar
2 ounces castor oil
1 ounce pennyroyal oil

Simmer over slow fire and bottle. He says you hardly need more than 2 ounces of this brew in a season.

I was wondering if anybody had tried it? Does it work? I gather it gives you a "healthy, ruddy look" probably due to the tar :D Is there health risk from this stuff, or is it no worse than any other modern concoction!!

I am not saying I am going to try it ;) but I am interested to find out if it works and if you guy&gals have a favourite recipe you swear by (or swear at :D )

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
The way it reads in the book it sounds like it could be bottled and sold as fake tan.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My recipe for insect repellent is to wash with coal tar soap. When we were camping near Oban, I used this and wasn't bitten once, but the rest of the family were - lots.

Then again, coal tar seems to be a repellent for all living things - according to my wife! :rolleyes:

Geoff

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
IIRC pennyroyal is the not reccomended one for pregnant women & ?high blood pressure sufferers...
I think Toddy had a mixture at the last Loch Achray meet made of bog myrtle, and this site
http://www.bogmyrtle.com/ also seems to like it

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sounds not dissimilar to Wilma's Nordic Summer, which smells (and looks) very much like concentrated essence of camp-fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE