Nessmuk Packing Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have read and read Nessmuks classic over the last few weeks but I am courious about the pack he discribes and how he fit his outfit in it.

He states it holds over half a bushel (a bushel of dry goods = 36.369 ltrs according to my diary) and held a blanket bag, Tent, Hatchet, ditty-bag, tinware,fishing tackle, clothes and two days' rations.

What I want to known is can anyone explain how he got all this in to a bag this small and what it looked like?

Or am I just misunderstanding the text or is my Diary wrong.

Thanks in advance
James

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I think you understand the text.

Get yourself a square shaped basic rucksack about 20 litres in capacity and see all what you can fit in it and strap on it.

I think you will be surprised at the amount of gear you can carry with it.

Cheers

JFW

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for the response.

I heading of next on a course with Wild-Live and I finding difficult enough to pack my 50ltr sack.

I'll pull out my daysack tonight and give it go but I have a felling I have alot to learn about packing and what I really need.

Hopefully the course will help.

Thanks again JFW

Anyone got a photo of Nessmuks pack?

James

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Found a reproduction here
http://www.frostriver.com/canoe_packs/nessmukpack.html

Remember to pack this type of sack everything must be folded flat or rolled and fixed to the outside.

Tarp tent with bedroll inside attached to top, hatchet on outside for easy access, food packed inside cook pot with clothes in main sack, fishing gear and personal kit inside side pockets.

Bobs your uncle.

Sounds easy but takes lots of practice - everyone always packs too many clothes and luxuries.

Cheers

JFW

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'm pretty sure that, nice though it is, the Frost River is a pack in an old style rather than a reproduction of Nessmuk's gear. For a start it looks different from other "Nessmuk" packs; lots of canvas and leather packs (and other gear) have used the famous Nessmuk name. If you check the dimensions you'll see that the Frost River is a 21 litre pack, so it's certainly in the right range.

It's important to remember that some items we habitually carry were not packed in Nessmuk's day (food, for example, consisted of certain staples supplemented extensively by game) and other goods have altered somewhat. Certainly it is perfectly possible to pack like Nessmuk and camp well, but you should bear in mind that even back then he was regarded as a groundbreaking and somewhat eccentric figure for his featherweight canoes and pared down gear.

Some years ago I spent three months in America teaching unsuspecting teenagers to canoe, and my entire luggage consisted of a 20 litre Karrimor daypack. Beware: once you start trimming the non-essentials it's awfully easy to become obsessive.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The pack sold by Frost River is based on a pack that Nessmuk actually once carried. They evidently have a bill of sale or something they based it on. It's a classic design generally called the Maine Guide's pack. Keep in mind that Nessmuk was so much more than what was portrayed in his books.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for all the response guys that really is a help.

I work in office all day suffer a little from repeditive stress in my shoulders. Therefore find carrying a heavy pack while on the move uncomfortable.

So I was struck by Nessmuks approch to lightweight camping considering the period and materials available. It will take some experimenting on my part but thats what it's all about. I have re read the book many times over the last few weeks and I seeing more every time read it and there seems to be alot more to Mr Sear's then is visible in this small volume. BP certainly saw that.

Hoodoo,
Is there listing off other works by him that I might able get my hands on. Some here mentioned a collection of Letters.

James

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
James, "Canoeing the Adirondacks with Nessmuk" is still in print. In the old days, letters were like articles and Nessmuk published his letters in a magazine called Forest and Stream (later bought out by Field and Stream). This volume of letters is edited by Dan Brenan and you should be able to get it through Amazon.

You can read some of the unedited letters here:

http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/books/gws/N1A.HTM

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I forgot to add that if you want to get something a little closer to what's in his book, you might check out the Frost River utility packs.

I have two Frost River packs and they are top notch. The people who started Frost River are old timers from Duluth Pack who were canned when Duluith Pack was bought by some big company. At least that's the story the folks at Frost River told me. Based on the weight alone, I'd say that the utility packs are heavier duty than what Nessmuk carried.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I bow to Hoodoo's knowledge on this one, as clearly the other "reproduction" Nessmuk packs I have seen - all of which were different, I couldn't help noticing - must have been more "in the style of," although in one respect Frost River must surely be departing from historical accuracy because their pack has at least one zipper. One of the drawbacks of a character like Nessmuk is that his name has such a ring of authenticity in camping that it's rather common to find it slapped onto all sorts of things. Have a look on eBay sometime and, as with Filson and Ray Mears, you'll likely find all manner of weird items labelled Nessmuk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE