Need something to protect my books in outdoors

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I wanna bring one or two books out in the outdoors so I can look up tracks, birds... on the fly. I don't wanna store them without protection in my backpack. The cover needs to be waterproof and impact resistent. I'm thinking about makinging a cover in wood for each book, perhaps leather, birch bark etc. would be better/easier? Anyone here who have made something similar so I can get some tips and inspiration? :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i took apart a reference book i used to use,...

laminated every page and built it back up with a loop spine,

never did anything special for a cover just a piece of black neopreen, but you could use whatever,..

it was virtually water proof...but a little bulkier than before i began, but you can drop out the credits and index etc to save money/time/space.

not very bushcrafty in its looks but it allowed me to use it outdoors.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2010
UK
All the ones that I have made/used have leaked. For general protection (impact etc), home-made covers are pretty good, (my mum taught me how to cover books at school - but I don't use brown paper or flowery wallpaper offcuts now) - those document wallets found in office work well if you cut them to shape and use plenty of tape - duck tape is tough. Sticky backed plastic also works well. Leather looks nice and you can decorate with whatever you like (I like the simplicity of a tied leather thong/lace (bootlace or the like) to hold it together. The old trick is always to do one cover first, then close the book before measuring/cutting the second cover, to ensure there is enough slack - otherwise you give yourself a headache.

If you really don't want things to get wet, then try an Ortlieb map/document case. My passport is always in one. Not very diy, I know, but they work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE