Need help with Fallkniven TK3ic - Desert Ironwood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am sure that what you say, c-Clay, is correct.
From the little metallurgy I know, the even thickness of the flex giving component is quite important for the resulting strength.
I did check my blades, and ( thankfully) none has this problem.

I do not know how they make these soft steel/powder steel blades in Japan (?), but I have visited both the Sandviken steel works and Eriksson's knife manufacture in Mora ( ages ago, before they changed the name ). My sisters husbands dad was a departement boss in Sandviken. Hugely interesting production.

The steel supplied was made to very exacting specs, including thickness, to work properly in the ( very automated ) machines.
I assume that Fällkniven has even tighter specs, being a far more high tech manufacturer of very expensive knives.

I matters not where in the edge steel ( powder steel ) the edge is, but it is quite important the thickness of the soft steel is even.

QC should not let this pass.

One of the semi handmade kitchen knives ( Miyabi Karrlisn birchwood) I have developed a tiny, tiny crack in the wood. They send me a new one once I submitted a photo of it. No questions asked.
Fällkniven, a Swedish quality manufacturer, should do the same.

If not, then I am ashamed of being Swedish, because this is not what the term ’Swedish Quality stands for.

Fällkniven write proudly that they have less than 0.1% warranty returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodsorrel
I was really perplexed about what to do in this situation. And you guys really came through!

I learned a lot about knife fabrication from this discussion. It will help me evaluate the next knife I purchase. It's also forced me to think carefully about what constitutes "quality" in a production knife, and how much variance I'm willing to tolerate.

After careful consideration, I've decided to exchange this knife for another. I'm hopeful the new knife will better meet my expectations.

Thank you to everyone, again, for your helpful information and opinions. You helped me reach a decision and be comfortable with it.

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE