need help finding cookset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
good evening all.
last night i spent the night fishing and caught 3 small saithe, which i of course threw right in the pot, yummy.
:fishing:
used a 12cm zebra pot which worked great.

anyways...
i need a frying pan too.

i'm looking for a cookset with a 1,5l(+/-) pot with a bale, frying pan with a folding handle and atleast 1 lid.
it must be stainless steel, and i want a dedicated lid since i want to be able to use the pan and lid independently.
price range isn't very important seeing as a good pot is among the top 5 important things a man can own.

if i cant find a cookset like that i will get a stainless frying pan with lid, to go with the zebra pot.
suggestions welcome.

and while we're on the topic of cookware:
is there other stainless pots similar to the zebra pot with a bale, and lid that is not a pan, i should be aware of?
i know of the tatonka, but sadly it has a combined lid/pan.

thanks.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Some green sticks, flat stones and certain large leaves or even moss or grass work pretty well too. Don't cost a penny either.

I have recently acquired the 14 cm Zebra, and I must say that although its a little small, the plate/bowl thingy that comes with it and sits in the top doubles as a nice little frying pan. I simply use a trangia pot gipper as the handle for it, as well as the billy can. I imagine if you went for the 16cm billy it would make and even better pan.

I fried up bacon in it this morning, while boiling some eggs in my 10cm zebra, on my honey stove with trangia.

H

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
because i don't like aluminium and titanium.
think about it, how come no kitchen pots and pans come in aluminium and titanium?

I'll put this down to a cultural difference and not a medical one, Aluminium cookware is used pretty much all over the world.

There are no medical reasons not to use Aluminium and in fact its a very good metal for making pots, it distributes heat better than Stainless Steel for example.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Rik - true. But every Al cook set I've had, including a Trangia(so not just cheap sets) has become really pitted and often started to leak - Trangia did that.

My stainless steal MSR Alpine set is still going strong after 15 years withno issues and my cheapo ss set is looking good after 5 - the steal is a bit thin for fine cooking but its ok.

That said I am now tempted by a Trangia again - now they do hard anodised ones. Ditch the meths burner and fit my omni fuel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE