Need a lid for my Hobo Stove! (Pics)

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
For the completion of my 'Hobo Stove', I need a lid to go on my billy can or biscuit tin in my case! It sounds daft, but I cannot find a metal lid anywhere for it!

They are either the wrong size, or the one that I did see which was the correct width, had a 'dome' like shape, which wouldn't fit in my pouch I have! :rolleyes:

I'm asking if anyone would have a suitable lid, which must be 4 inches in width. Of course, I will pay for it and postage, or else I can trade something for it.

I'm going on a trip this weekend and really want to use it! :)

DSCF0991Small.jpg

DSCF0989Small.jpg

DSCF0995Small.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A quick fix will be a bit of tin foil, an old pie dish perhaps. I know it isn't what you want but if it gets you outdoors than it is a needs must thing! Other than that, I'd ask the friendly Mr Warthog if he could knock you one up in ally. He usually does Crusader mugs, so a full round should be easier! The worst he could say is no!

It would probably be cheaper to get yourself a new billy (coffee tin), I got one (with a lid) about the same size as yours from Wilkinsons for about two quid.

Alternatively, if your existing billy has some sentimental value, then search on here for 'Crusader Cup Lids' and give Warthog a shout, as he makes some very nice lids.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I think I crossed threads with Spamel, but you know what they say about great minds...

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
It would probably be cheaper to get yourself a new billy (coffee tin), I got one (with a lid) about the same size as yours from Wilkinsons for about two quid.

Alternatively, if your existing billy has some sentimental value, then search on here for 'Crusader Cup Lids' and give Warthog a shout, as he makes some very nice lids.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I think I crossed threads with Spamel, but you know what they say about great minds...

If you mean sentimental value as in, finding it in a cheapy shop for £1.25 a few weeks ago, then yes it is. :D

Honestly, it's a very thick steel - heavier than all the tins I've looked at. It's also the perfect size. I am keeping an eye out though for more just in case. And I got a Crusader Lid off Warthog so I know how good they are! :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Had a go with the pocket cooker today and got to say that the lid on the billy really helps compared to the crusader with no lid....think I still prefer my hobo to the pocket cooker also I can keep all the brew up kit in the billy.
Dave

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Why does that last picture show what looks like a hole in your billy ?? Am I missing something here ??

How about a wooden lid ?? Just draw round the billy, cut it out and shamfer the edges a bit so it sits inside the lip.

Rich

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Why does that last picture show what looks like a hole in your billy ?? Am I missing something here ??
Rich

Thought someone might say that!

It's a separate tin sitting in the bottom of the billy. You can see the lid with the hole in it, I was making charcloth in it last night! :D

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Oh dear! Listen to this...

I was bought a Mytimug from Alpkit recently (titanium mug), and I remember after a day searching for a lid for this billy, I lay in bed thinking 'I must check the lid of my alpkit mug and see if it fits...'.

Anyhow, *I checked* and it didn't fit.

But, I had a wierd moment today when thinking about that. I thought to myself, did I really try it or did I just dream that I did?

And it turns out was just a dream!! 'Cos it fits a treat!! :lmao:

That was weeks ago!! And I've spent a lot of time trying to find a lid that fits. My Alpkit mug was sitting in the same room as the billy the whole time... :twak:

Thanks to everyone for helping, and I do do feel really stupid now. I even got extremely kind offers from people to make me a lid for nothing! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE