Neat Sheet Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Does anyone know of a UK alternative to the USA version of the Neat Sheet (just fire it into google to check it out). Its like a large cheap blankey type of thing, that can be wiped etc. I was thinking of its many uses but they do not sell outside of the US as yet......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
lardbloke said:
Does anyone know of a UK alternative to the USA version of the Neat Sheet (just fire it into google to check it out). Its like a large cheap blankey type of thing, that can be wiped etc. I was thinking of its many uses but they do not sell outside of the US as yet......

This just sounds like showerproofed poly cotton rain jacket fabric. Available in Glasgow just now for £2 a metre, 60" wide. Last time I looked it was available in muted green, lavender and fuchsia pink :D .
Okay, okay, me and Bowsayer bought some of the pink :eek: we were going to make a basha out of it to discombobulate a *real* bushcrafter friend :eek: Just been too busy....yet :p

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
lardbloke said:
Thanks for the info my friend. Could you tell me where in Glasgow I could purchase the said cloth?? I think I will give the fuchsia a miss.
Thanks again...

Discount Fabrics, two doors along from Bill's Tool Store, Bain Street/Moncur Street. It's in the permanent buildings at the Barras, just off the Gallowgate. Open every day except Tuesday. Don't be put off by the curtaining fabrics....the stuff you want is upstairs. Ask for waterproof fabrics at the cutting table and someone will help. They've got goretex going cheaply too just now.
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the link.
From the photos "Neat Sheet" is two layers of the cotton polyester stuff that's used to cover some quilts & pillows or used as lightweight paint sheets, disposable overalls are made from the coloured stuff.
Someone has seen the potential and fused two coloured layers together. Neat :)
Cheers,
Toddy

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I was going to use the neat sheet for different purposes as it appears fairly cheap in the USA. One project was going to be replicating the hennessy pad as shown on Shane's Hiking journal. I was going to use some cheap closed cell foam pad (from the pound store), tehn cover it with polartec fleece (300) and then cover it with a simialr product to the neat sheet (perhaps polycotton).

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Good selection of waterproof fabrics indeed, and their heavy gortex is a pretty close colour match for the canoes. :D
£2.50 per meter off a 1.4m roll. Both covers and enough for a couple of stuff bags plus all the black bungie cord required for less than a tenner.

Anyone know anywhere that does half inch brass eyelets? I'll find them somewhere but just thought I'd ask on the offchance.
Hmmm, leatherworkers maybe.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grooveski said:
Good selection of waterproof fabrics indeed, and their heavy gortex is a pretty close colour match for the canoes. :D
£2.50 per meter off a 1.4m roll. Both covers and enough for a couple of stuff bags plus all the black bungie cord required for less than a tenner.

Anyone know anywhere that does half inch brass eyelets? I'll find them somewhere but just thought I'd ask on the offchance.
Hmmm, leatherworkers maybe.

£2.50 a metre.....they *really* liked you :)
You'd have found the eyelets if you'd tried Bill's tool store, two doors up. £5 for 100...no fitting punch at that price though. The set 'with' the punch is about £8.50

Cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
To be honest I don't know if this's gortex, coated polyester or whatever else it may be. Chose it on colour mainly but it was one of the heavier ones on the rack. It'll be up to the job.

Nearly went in the tool store too but was already loaded down with unessessary Barras buys and didn't trust myself in somewhere I could really spend some money.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grooveski Nearly went in the tool store too but was already loaded down with unessessary Barras buys and didn't trust myself in somewhere I could really spend some money.[/QUOTE said:
:D Oh yes, that'll be Bill's Tool Store all right; I keep finding *good things* in there; got some beautiful rifler files really cheaply last time and some old gpo needle nosed pliers for £2. :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE