Nature tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

julian

Hi all, :wave:

This is probably going to sound :werd: but does anyone have any tips about how to assist the natural spreading of plants and trees i.e in some of the TV programs I have seen, bushcrafters are encouraged to spread around the seeds of plants they have used, or to replant willow cuttings.
When I hit the trail I usually take some rowan or elder berries with me.
I know the chances are slim that any will germinate and become trees but I would like to think that some will in the future.

Any tips would be helpfull.

:beerchug: julian

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Doing just that Julian. :biggthump I've heard of woodlanders carrying a pocket full off acorns with them, and "heeling" them into the ground every so often (drop one, push into the earth with your heal). Some may germinate some won't. The same can be done with hazel nuts or, you can bend a hazel wand down, skin 6" of bark off, peg it down with a couple of forked sticks and bury the skinned section. The limb then roots from this section and a new stool of hazel is started. You should really return a year later and cut the joining limb off when it has rooted.
Willow is even easier, a living stick can just be de barked at the end on shoved into the soil !
I always flick mushrooms as i pick them to disperse the spore and encourage them to spread.
Fluffy stuff for tinder i throw some onto the breeze to spread.
Its a sort of thank you to the plant for providing the resource. :)
Rich

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I do the same too Rich ... I look at it as giving thanks to the trees/plants etc for what I take.

Great post Julian ... thanks for making it! :biggthump

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Great post. People look at me funny for spreading dandylion around the area. It's considered a weed here and poisoned/pulled out of yards and parks, but is a very good food and medicinal plant so I keep encouraging it's presence. Fiddlehead ferns are another excellent food source here and there are several of us planting them in the appropriate areas for good growth. I also plant clover and other food sources for the deer in the area and bees use many of the same plants to make their honey, which is a superfood of sorts, as well as a very good medicinal product. Just don't feed it to infants and toddlers, as they can't handle the botulism spores that tend to live in honey.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Ive also heard (long ago) of people scattering seeds out of train windows, although I dont recommend this as its dangerous for obvious reasons :yikes:

Helping nature in this way seems a jolly good idea though, she needs all the help she can get :hug:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I do this everytime I go out...... especialy with plants I eat ;-).... on a side note I've just spread a load of Garden Tiger Moth larvae that we had hatching on the net curtain..... so we spread bugs aswell.... :)

Ed

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I do the same with burdock,if i dig a root up i take some of the seed and scatter it around the area that it was growing in so as not to denude the area of burdock.Its just a little respect thing i guess.

J

julian

Cheers,
thanks for all the tips so far.

I will try some of them soon.

julian

J

julian

stuartyr said:
Julian, where do you get out and about to around Glasgow?

stuart
Hi stuartyr,
There is a few areas around glasgow.
Mugdock courty park is good it has lost of nice trees and flowers, it is just north of milngavie.It is easy to find as the west highland way goes through the SW part of the park.On the down side no camping is allowed.
NW of the park is the kilpartrick hills, its a bit bleak and sheepy in places but some new trees have been planted there in the past few years.Its also full of reserviors so its not suitable for camping.
I have not been there but my wife says the falls of clyde are great.
Balloch is not very far(aprox 55 mins on the train) and there is some areas there I am investigating, like the region between balloch, helensburgh and cardross .
I am still new to bushcraft, most of my nature experience is from hillwalking.

cheers,
julian

Most of my t

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I live in a town named ironically for a resource now swept from the streets and paths as a nuisance. Every acorn crop I easilly collect 100 lbs. I pack this along with blocks of salt to a secret spot where I know deer still pass through. I also carry an empty plastic bag on every hike. I haul out trash. especially aluminium and those 6 pack plastic soda can connectors, both deadly to animals.

J

julian

ChrisKavanaugh said:
I live in a town named ironically for a resource now swept from the streets and paths as a nuisance. Every acorn crop I easilly collect 100 lbs. I pack this along with blocks of salt to a secret spot where I know deer still pass through. I also carry an empty plastic bag on every hike. I haul out trash. especially aluminium and those 6 pack plastic soda can connectors, both deadly to animals.
Wow , I can't imagine that many acorns, there must be hundreds ...

Thanks for the tips,

julian

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
julian said:
Hi stuartyr,
There is a few areas around glasgow.
Mugdock courty park is good it has lost of nice trees and flowers, it is just north of milngavie.It is easy to find as the west highland way goes through the SW part of the park.On the down side no camping is allowed.
NW of the park is the kilpartrick hills, its a bit bleak and sheepy in places but some new trees have been planted there in the past few years.Its also full of reserviors so its not suitable for camping.
I have not been there but my wife says the falls of clyde are great.
Balloch is not very far(aprox 55 mins on the train) and there is some areas there I am investigating, like the region between balloch, helensburgh and cardross .
I am still new to bushcraft, most of my nature experience is from hillwalking.

cheers,
julian

Most of my t

Julian, I know mugdock well! My gran stayed in craigton village and I used to stay in bearsden, ive had many a nice wee brownie out of the allander. I also know loch lomond pretty well too, but its far too busy in the summer and is much better in the winter!

Sunset on loch lomond
74343.jpg

stuarty

J

julian

Hi stuartyr,
sorry about delay in reply computer problems :badputer: .

I would agree that its better in winter just remember your balaclava.

If you have not already been try the loch ard area as well.

maybe I will see you around.

cheers julian

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Natural regeneration ( or regen, as it is known in the woodland world) is a lovely subject. It is a pleasure to watch and to understand and it is even more rewarding to be a part of this complicated sequence of events.

There are two ways to look at regen, one is leave it well alone and do nothing and the second, is to become involved and be part of the chain.

Funny enough, there is no right or wrong answer. I practise both, for different reasons and for different results. If we take a good strong Oak with a very healthy crown then in a good seed year it may produce up to 25,000 acorns. Now you may have ten oaks, like this per acre, so you could end up with 250,000 acorns per acre. Now this example is nature at it’s best and when the Oaks have a had a good seed year, you will know about, the woodland floor is inches deep in acorns, the birds and the animals are all wonderfully plump, ready for the onset of winter.

So with this many seeds being dropped you would be under the impression that you really don’t need to help nature on it’s way. And you would be right, wouldn’t you? Just have a look this Autumn at an Oak and see how many seeds it drops and then look 18months time and observe how many acorns they are at the cotyledon stage. I would have a guess at 12 acorns have germinated, out of the many thousands shed. Trees are a bit like pigs. Pigs give birth to many piglets as they suffer from high mortality, the same applies to plants. So nature knows that it has to produce many thousands of seeds to ensure that one survives into maturity, remember when we first saw David Attenborough on the beech watching millions of Turtles struggling to make it to sea.

In a woodland environment the whole process regen is governed by the amount of light that reaches the woodland floor, so we are better off making sure that we fell our trees when they reach maturity, if you don’t then end up with a woodland of a fixed aged structure as opposed to a woodland with a diverse age structure. As soon as you allow in the light, regen will flourish.

If you a leave a field fallow, it will soon be invaded and colonised by trees, the only thing that prevents this from happening in our countryside is, agriculture.

So, are we making much difference in the big scheme of things by heeling in an acorn or two or the odd Hazel nut? I am not so sure that we are, nature is very clever at it’s job, in fact it’s the master. Here in Dorset, we have plenty of chalk and the Ash tree adores chalk so as you can imagine we have plenty of Ash but not so much Oak, so am I better of planting Ash as I know that this has a good chance of surviving or should I go for Oak, as we could do with more of them but the likely hood of it becoming a seedling is very low.............so I dam well do both!! But I would much rather be healing in large and small leaved Lime, we don’t have many of those in Dorset.

Nature will look after itself, if we leave it alone but it is a great repayment seeing a seed that you have planted grow.......you just have to spend the next ten years keeping the destructive side of nature at bay – the animals.

If you are heeling in seeds, always make sure that you plant it as deep as the seed is long!

Just remember this;

Nature never ploughs and it doesn’t know what straight lines are.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Wherever I go if I see a plant in seed I like to take a handful of the seed to examine and scatter as I go - encouraging plants that already grow in the neigbourhood. In a good year you can see where I've been by the trail of henbane, they don't always take but it's nice to see a population that you've helped establish. When I go back to the Wye I like to visit a patch of willows that I planted as a kid, they've quite outgrown me now.

Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE